I got an electrical shock in the boat

So I'm not sure what happened today...

I was fishing a tourney today when an ugly black cloud rolled in and it started to pour rain.... No thunder... No lightning...

I got 3 shocks in my hand holding the rod in about 10 seconds...

Freaked me right out... My hand felt funny for a while and I felt a little light headed...

Anybody have any thoughts on what happened?

we had the same thing

when we cast out we noticed the line was floating about a foot above the water

I took the lure off my line and started pulling line out , it went up on a 45 deg angle

thats when I figured out lightning was going to strike in the area

we took off and less then a minute a big bolt of lightning stuck about where we fished just seconds before

It was 100% electrical....

Almost like a cross between a normal static shock and a 9 volt battery on your tongue....lol

Oh, so like when someone, who shall not be named, zaps you with the Executioner electric mosquito zapper??? :whistling::lol:

we took off and less then a minute a big bolt of lightning stuck about where we fished just seconds before

We were fishing Chemong last week and thunder started booming just north of us so we called it a day and came off the water.

I've had the same thing happen Mike - swinging the rods sounded like lightsabers - scared the crap out of us and we packed up even though the skies were blue. Touching the rod tips was giving a shock. Big storm rolled thru the area an hour later.

Pete

I've had the same thing happen Mike - swinging the rods sounded like lightsabers - scared the crap out of us and we packed up even though the skies were blue. Touching the rod tips was giving a shock. Big storm rolled thru the area an hour later.

Pete

Had the same experience a few times.

About 15 yrs. ago was fishing Dalrymple in mid summer the braided line was lifting off surface, graphite rods humming and giving shocks.

Got scared and docked the boat..

Ended up catching biggest crappies of my life, from dock, minutes later at 15 1/2 in. each. Just before t-storm started capped it off with about 5 lb.largemouth from dock

Caught the pre-storm feeding frenzy.

Edited by ehg

Yes I have had this happen a few times and it's freaky too !!!! I have had a glow around my line and static sparks from my graphite rod !!!! It's a little scary as both times it was just before a storm moving in and the air was full of static I could also smell the ozone in the air too !!!!! It's not safe to be on the water when that happens and you could be at the wrong end of a lightning strike !!!! At port Darlington in bomanville the parking lot at the boat launch has very high hydro towers from the nuke plant over top of the lot and while you are putting your boat in order to launch you can feel the electricity in your rods while you are setting them up !!! Also the gunnels on my boat would give off small shocks and sparks my VHF antenae would spark a well !!!!! Ya it's pretty weird when it happens on a lake another board member here and myself were in a bass tourney a few years ago and we had it happen as well when we were fishing in the rain about 20 mins before a storm !!! It's a sign to take cover mike .....