Slip float fishing for pike?

dhickey

In a nut shell. Ive never been one to float fish on a lake.

But I have 5 days coming up and thought I might give it a try. Im pretty certain where they are (pike) But they always eluded us except for the odd 4-6 pounder dragging minnows through weeds.

I like the idea of using a slip float to suspend a 5-7 inch minnow about 10-15 ft down on drop offs with weeds.

So.

Are there floats out there that can do this?

And where can I pick them up on short notice? GTA

Heading out next Wednesday .

Has any one tried this? In mid summer?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.

Don.

Unless you're fishing shallow pits up north, at this time of year large pike are down a lot deeper than 15 feet. As in, down with the lake trout in 60+ feet or water.

Fish a six-inch minnow down 15 feet and you'll likely catch some nice largemouth though, and probably a few decent walleye mixed in.

If you can't find commercially made slip floats any craft shop usually has smooth finished Styrofoam eggs or ball that can easily be turned into a float large enough for very large minnows or suckers, and even perch where legal.

You can fish a slip float deeper than 10 - 15 feet, suckers as bait tend to seek out the bottom, to small a float and they will keep it buried. Chubs and other minnows tend to wander various deeps, a small weight is usually needed to keep them in the desired depth range.

A bait fish in distress attracts attention of predators, some times it's nice to kick back and let them do the work.

People who float fish caledonia for walleye use large minnows and deal with heavy current mixed in. They use large plastic tube like floats they call "piker floats".. i guess they were originally designed for the situation you describe.

Might be something to look into.

Unless you're fishing shallow pits up north, at this time of year large pike are down a lot deeper than 15 feet. As in, down with the lake trout in 60+ feet or water.

Fish a six-inch minnow down 15 feet and you'll likely catch some nice largemouth though, and probably a few decent walleye mixed in.

Really? I guess all the pike we caught today in 8-10 FOW - within pitching distance of 40 FOW - aren't paying attention.

Really? I guess all the pike we caught today in 8-10 FOW - within pitching distance of 40 FOW - aren't paying attention.

Q: What's the difference between a pike from 8-10 fow and one from 30 FOW in the middle of summer

A: About 20 pounds.

Q: What's the difference between a pike from 8-10 fow and one from 30 FOW in the middle of summer

A: About 20 pounds.

this is true

if you have a downrigger, drop the ball down with a big sucker, nose hooked, on 20' of line and slowly drift with a sock or two out...set the hook quickly, maybe fish barbless too....deep water outisde of bays, deep drop offs, ledges, saddles/humps, etc....look for deep water near feeding areas