Half a Smallie

captpierre

Haven't been able to connect with a decent muskie at the cottage on Pigeon targetting them.

The other day had bass or eye on jigging a weededge. Then it stopped. First thought burried in the weeds.

With the rod bent over and drag screaming, knew a ski was on. After a minute the line went slacker and the front half of a smallie came up.

Tough world down there I would say. :(

Nothing more crazy that bringing in a small fish and the line suddenly stopping! Oh Oh

I have never seen one cut in half out of all the times it has happened to me though.

Edited by jimmer

I recall one trip to Pointe Au Baril, some guys were leaving when we arrived and they showed us the fish they were taking home. One was a 19 - 20 inch largemouth and from the gill plates back it was slashed to hell. Dude what happened to that one, a huge muskie grabbed it, it didn't let go until it got close to the boat.

had that happen quite a few times on the Ottonabee river, usually the smallies come to the boat with big cuts and their guts hanging out...one of them all I got was just the head and gills of a 13-14" smallie

it got to happen so often (couple times a week the one summer) we began to wonder if muskies follow the boat the way seals actually follow boats and steal salmon

I grew up fishing a small gravel pit for largemouth and they are fairly cannibalistic too