Trailer paint??

wormdunker

Wish I had a fishing report, but, been too dam hot here in southern Ontario. I just finished doing some welding & repairs on my boat trailer, next job is to paint it. Can u recomend a good quality paint? I've tried tremclad & armour coat but the rust eventually reappears in a short period of time. Approx a year ago there was a report on this board of a high quality 2 part epoxy paint available at a dealer in Hamilton. The guy stated it was rather expensive but lasted a very long time. A fellow worker reported another product. It's a spray can type of plastic paint available at Home Hardware. If you want to change colours apparently you can cut it with a knife & peel it off like a banana skin?? Anybody here use this product? Thanx for recomendations.

I would just have it done with spray on truck bedliner.

That's what I'll be doing to mine when I redo it.

Regular paint of any kind just doesn't hold up.

You may want to contact local shops that do spray in bedliners and see how much they charge.

If too much I would get some of this and do it myself.

I will be going this route because there are no local places here to get it done.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/bedArmor/

Comes in spray and roll on versions

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/truckBedCoating/

The only problem is it's black.

To get coloured bedliner you would need to see one of the local shops.

Line-X does colour bedliner.

http://www.line-x.ca/index.php?page=home

Edited by DRIFTER_016

A 2 part epoxy paint will do the job, maybe the best job if the prep is done correctly.

Noahs boats sells a few kinds.

A cheaper solution as stated above is to use bed liner.

Edit: If you can afford it, line-x is hands down the best thing to do if you plan on keeping the trailer for a few years. My old man had it done to his bed on his gmc canyon, that stuff is tough as nails and looks great.

Edited by hsousa

I was told by the line x dealer in oshawa that bed liners are porous and will let the water thru and if that is the case I can see the metal rusting under it.I was going to use it to seal my leaky old boat but I didn't want to waste my money.

vance

While it's nice to have a clean, new looking trailer, I would be concerned about coating a trailer with some of the products on the market today. While I have no scientific evidence on this stuff, it occurred to me that if the product is flexible and doesn't crack, you'd never be able to detect a stress crack until it was too late. I regularly check the trailer for bolt tightness, cracks etc...and it would probably worry me more than anything else if I couldn't see the actual condition of the metal. What do you think?