Leased hunting land

Rod Caster

Apparently, the risks (liabilities) are much lower with a trade/barter system since no money is exchanged. I need to look further into this.

Never thought about letting animals graze on the cleared section. More ideas! Haha, 99 percent is bush though.

If you have a good stand of sugar maples, then you know what you'll be doing next March/April ;)

You wouldn't believe how much of a privacy (for you) issue can be allowing people to hunt your property, as they start out in the corners and then end up walking right past your bedroom windows at 5am. If you charge them... and don't like it or them being around you can't get rid of them as easily as you can by simply saying "hey, you brought me no venison... this isn't working out... sorry but no more hunting" !

Thanks Wayne, I was hoping to hear from you!

I've made it clear to potential lessors that there will be a posted radius around the house that is no hunting/no access. This will also be written in the lease with well-marked maps.

I'm going to make a final decision this weekend whether I proceed or not, and whom will get this seasons lease.

I'd also make sure those people you aren't leasing to are guides.. Can you imagine hunting party after hunting party? Ugh..... no thanks.. For $500 it doesn't seem worth it at all.. Enjoy it with your buddies and that's it.

Edited by BillM

jeez guys, no thumbs up at all :)

Lots to think about before I decide.

Floatnfly: are you saying that so get the extra 3,000,000.00 in public liability insurance? That was a consideration.

sounds like an awful lotta trouble for a measly $500. don't know about you but my time, effort & peace of mind is worth way more than that.

oh ya? how much has OFC paid you for 3,500+ posts? haha kidding.

I think you'll only get a thumbs up from they guys who want to use your land like they own it for $500.

Its really not a good way to go about making a profit from your land. $500 is peanuts for 5 months of use, and don't forget, once someone signs that lease, your stuck with them for a while.

I would never lease out my land, and would never lease land to hunt. Its just wrong in so many ways IMO.

S.

Just to bring up a point you can write anything you want and check as much as you want but if the person does not follow the rules then you will have to enforce the kick out clause of the contract which could leave you with an angry man with a gun or a lawsuit to deal with. Last time I checked $500.00 buys you about 1.5 hours of legal advice. I have been all over this subject here in the States and hopefully the laws are different in Canada but it was plain to see that sweat equity was a much better deal than money and a contract. I also found that sweat equity is the way to get the land improved once they pay money they expect you to do all of the things that make the hunt easier/nicer. If you go ahead you will most likely only have to live with the mistake for one cycle before you shut it down unfortunately you will most likely lose money from all of the legal advise, land prep, backround checks, posting, and contracts drawn up.

Art

well my notary just got back to me with a quote of $1000.00 to write up a lease...looks like I got my answer for this year. Also, just got back from my insurance company and they would require business insurance for anything equating to income. Much more complex than I wanted and not really worth it for this year, unless I decided to do things under the radar...which there is no way in hell I will.

Turns out with bartering, you don't need business insurance, so that might be an option for somebody I trust, to exchange labor (like wood splitting; fence building) for access to land.

Thanks for the input everyone! Appreciate the grounded concerns and considerations from all.

even a bartering agreement/sweat equity you still invite liability issues upon yourself...you should make sure anybody on your land has hunting insurance, i think any gun club membership, ofah, etc all typically cover 1M, homeowner policy will cover secondary property coverage....I don't hunt in ON, only fish, but out west you won't step foot on any property if you don't have insurance, and must be kept on your person/vehicle at all times

My homeowners insurance covers up to 1mil for anyone on my property (can purchase more if I want) hunting, fishing, walking etc. That person may have his/her own liability insurance as well. My understanding is that OFAH insurance is in addition to my homeowners policy or their liability policy...so my policy is always the first guard, then the other persons liability insurance, then OFAH (or like) insurance would kick in as the others are exhausted. This explains why you get a hat, a knife a subscription and other gadgets AND insurance for very very cheap, because it's very unlikely that it ever gets initiated unless there is a BIG case, or if its criminal and the homeowners policy doesn't cover anything. I suppose that if anything were to happen involving hunting, that it may likely be a criminal case, which means that the OFAH coverage might be handy...I'll have to read up on that some more.

the biggest difference between a cash deal and bartering agreement is that a cash deal is business, therefore your personal insurance won't cover anything related to business activities... I'd need to get business insurance.