Schools out

spincast

Last year I cashed in a vaca day to take G-man out of school on the last Friday (its p-d day in our board anyway) :dunno: We had a great day on Lake O. On our family vacation up in Temagami last year he got into bass fishin, so when I asked what he wanted to do this year for our hooky day; he said - Bass fishin, and catch some more walleye

; Hmm, sounds like an excuse for a get away, 'cause for sure by the time the end of June comes around I'll need time off.

So, in March I booked a trip to a spot I used to go just North of Marten River.
We looked forward to this for months, so as the weather network decided to play the role of joy killer, predicting a cold front rolling in the day before we were schedule to arrive, followed by East winds for the days we were there, I warned G to be ready to work for his fish. Friday morning came, and at 4:15 we were on the road. As we approached the big smoke rain pelted down, - wipers on high, slow way own, watch the boat for hydro-planing.; Dad's spirits sinking as the water levels on the road were rising - but not to be shown

We arrived at our destination just before 10:00 - much to the surprise of the new owners. After a brief chat and introductions we were off. We had reserved the boat house; cottage. Usually it is about 2 foot off the water. This year it almost a boat house

DSCF0492_zps7a54e56a.jpg
We decided we would stay in another cottage - just in case it rained again

DSCF0494_zps743166a9.jpg

We had to work for what we found - but we did find the shore the walleyes were chasing the bait fish on the first afternoon, bagging 6 in 2 hours 4 of which were below the slot.

DSCF0510_zps509bc37a.jpg

And G got his bass" Made for a nice supper first night there

DSCF0519_zps5854a2a8.jpg
The sunset that first night was amazing. I think I took about 30 shots.

DSCF0524_zps52d1dbe6.jpg

next day dawned much the same - overcast, and cold. winds from the east. We had to work hard for what we got - but we both got a fish worthwhile - G with a PB smallmouth (17 incher)

DSCF0553_zps852a436a.jpg
and me with a PB perch (12;) and a match to my PB smallmouth at 19

DSCF0550_zps0f4c1617.jpg

Sunday dawned with an amazing sunrise

DSCF0669_zps40e36de2.jpg

I fished for an hour while G, now well worn out, slept in

DSCF0671_zps73890b3a.jpg

One more small pike came out to play and it was time to pack 'er up and head home before the traffic got busy.</p>

Memories made for a life time - for both of us.

(now that was weird)

Edited by spincast

nope - edited it and it messed up - ? guess I gots some work to do?

The board is wonky. Same thing's happened to me after attempting to edit a large post. Cost me two hours of extra work the last time.

Great report, glad to see you guys got into a few!

Thanks for posting this report! I was looking forward to the results. Given the weather, you guys did alright. Especially the first 6 walleye... that easily beat my best daily total for that lake.

Darn weather was just 'ok' for us this weekend near Mattawa, but we definitely didn't get as much rain as you guys.

Thanks all - darn computers, must be in cahoots with the weather - jinxing the fishin and the posting. :dunno:

Thanks for posting this report! I was looking forward to the results. Given the weather, you guys did alright. Especially the first 6 walleye... that easily beat my best daily total for that lake.

Darn weather was just 'ok' for us this weekend near Mattawa, but we definitely didn't get as much rain as you guys.

Hope you get away was successful Chad - shame the timing didn't work out for us to hook up, maybe next time. As far as the lake(s) go, I have actually done pretty well there all but the first time I went. Lots of weeds and cabbage, and that deep bowl in the back lake is still yet to be explored. Need some time to work that one I think. The screen was full when I drifted across it on Saturday, but no takers. Most mornings at daybreak the cabbage will produce all kinds of fun with the gators and an incidental walleye.

Nice time there by the looks of it!
What was the name of the camp?
Dan

Hey Dan - its Horizon's North. Used to be Opee Chee. rustic accommodations, decent boats and enough water to keep your interest for a 5 - 7 day trip. If you are into cooking with more than 1 fry pan though, you may want to bring your shore lunch set up. If you are thinking of heading up there drop me a pm. I'll fill you in a bit more.

Good stuff Rick! Glad you two made the best of the weather, and, got into a few nice fish.

Thanks Frankie - I guess you're into full countdown mode? T minus, what 10? or is it less than that for the Chapleau expedition? Cant wait to see your report this year. PM me and lets see if we can make plans for the big water in July.

Great post Rick and 'gratz on the PB bass G!

Let's work on your PB muskie now!

now there's an offer we cant refuse. July is somewhat chaotic - but August looks like it has some opportunity - and with Musky season running right into November, well, lets just say I hope we can put a beating on the introductory model you put me onto last year.