Bass opener

DAY 1

It had been a long time since November, with just pike and panfish to hold me over it was nice to get the monkey off my back and finally get into some bass! The day (for me at least, some were a little more sleepy :whistling: ) started at 4:30 am, just early enough to see the sun come up. We met Dave and his friend's son, Michael at the ramp at 7:45 am. Launched quickly and got to the first spot, we were fishing 6-8 feet of water on weed edges with weedless senkos. It didn't take long to get into fish, Dave quickly had 2 largies that were just under a pound, so no pics of them. About 5 minutes later I hooked into what would have been about a 28" pike, had him at the side of the boat when the hook popped out :wallbash: . So we race across the lake to try some rocks and slop fishing, we caught what felt like 1 000 000 rock bass, with a few half decent smallies and largemouth. We got a bunch of those and Dave got a couple pickereyes as well. Back across the lake about 5 hours later and we finally get into some good fish, first Dave was up with this solid 2lb largie.

IMG_0886_zps581b513a.jpg

In between he got another 'eye, Michael got a couple 1 lb bass and I got a good 1.5lb smallie (no pic), before I hooked into a solid 2+lb fish.

IMG_0888_zpsb80b61ee.jpg

I had another thick pike on but the hook popped again, maybe next time.

When I got home I was treated to a good fish fry, Dave deep hooked a small smallie and when we released it it just floated up, so we kept that guy as well as a 12" perch that I got on a senko. And I've gotta say that I don't know what's with you guys, bass tastes wayyyy better than walleye, couldn't tell the difference between it and the perch!

IMG_0890_zpsbd545312.jpg

DAY 2

Sunday my dad was downtown for a meeting and he asked me if I wanted him to drop me off at harbourfront, well of course I took him up on it! I started working one of my favourite weed beds with a shallow diving crankbait and senko, when that wasn't working I switched to a creature bait and pitched the pockets with my new bantam curado (thanks again trevy727!). Well, 3rd cast and I see a flash, give it a couple hops, let him chew on it, and set that hook as hard as my rod would let me, landed him, a few pics and let him go.

photo-21_zps70bb5e8f.jpg

That's it for my opening week, on Thurs there's a good chance I'll be heading up to haliburton for pike, bass and maybe musky.

Thanks again for taking me out Dave!

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Christopher k

Great report Christopher. You certainly had enough to keep you busy.

Chris beat me to it on the trip into the drink thing. Here's a tip. If you don't like Velcro, you can go shoeless...it'd be safer. Or, you can do what I do....uni to uni one lace to the other ...they'll never become undone. Make sure both ends are on the same shoe though or it defeats the purpose. :)