LM full of spawn

beagle dad

im surprised because i fished the same water on the other side of the dam 6-10 fow and out of 40ish 1-2 lb largies never saw a single egg???????? the small fish do generally spawn last though, a survival of the fittest mechanisim

Not all female bass of all strains spawn. Depends on age, disease and numbers of males available to them for a date. I am quoting from what I have been told over the years. You won't ever see a female on a bed once they have spawned. Males make the nest, milt the eggs and then once the coffee ground size fry has hatched the males guard the nest of fry..

seems like the MNR has the King Midas touch, but everything they touch turns to pooh,

"yeah, lets bump up the bass opener, at least for the sake of actually doing something and justifying our jobs"

bass recruitment will be poor for 2013, at least we got to go out a week earlier, whoa!

there's plenty of fishing opportunities in the spring/ early summer, err on the side of caution, southern and central Ontario bass don't need anymore pressure, we're going the wrong way

I get what youre saying, but lets be realistic... Our waters are jammed full of bass, and maybe 1% of anglers keep them for the plate. There is no danger even if we fished them all year. Many places in the states do, and they have no issues.

I get what youre saying, but lets be realistic... Our waters are jammed full of bass, and maybe 1% of anglers keep them for the plate. There is no danger even if we fished them all year. Many places in the states do, and they have no issues.

How many places in the US have spawning bass in June? I bet not many if any at all... There's a reason why the season is closed until late June up here.

Some years I've caught bass off deep weed edges during the pike opener, some years (like this year) it's a late season and the fish are still doing their thing in the shallows.

Edited by BillM

How many places in the US have spawning bass in June? I bet not many if any at all... There's a reason why the season is closed until late June up here.

Some years I've caught bass off deep weed edges during the pike opener, some years (like this year) it's a late season and the fish are still doing their thing in the shallows.

Regardless of when they are spawning, they are being fished year round. And its not affecting their population because they still over-run lakes and nobody keeps them so the population stays plentiful. However u wonna look at it, theyre over-populated and are affecting other fish species population. I dont think we would have any issues if the season was open all year.

I agree, bass are pretty prolific

I don't agree with 1% keeping them, in Haliburton, the rednecks and the not so serious cottage fishing crowd keep plenty, the serious bass guys let them go

my cottage neighbor kept 2- 5lbs LM and some decent smaller fish out of a small back lake last summer, it was a pretty ugly stringer picture that he was proud to show me

Edited by chris.brock

I agree, bass are pretty prolific

I don't agree with 1% keeping them, in Haliburton, the rednecks and the not so serious cottage fishing crowd keep plenty, the serious bass guys let them go

my cottage neighbor kept 2- 5lbs LM and some decent smaller fish out of a small back lake last summer, it was a pretty ugly stringer picture that he was proud to show me

I definetly underestimated when i said 1%... But what im trying to say is, not enough anglers keep them to affect the population. People who are hardcore anglers dont tend to keep them, because they would target other species for a fish-fry. Its the people that dont fish often that generally tend to keep bass for eating. Either way, not many of them wind up on the dinner table.