Pike report finally. Pics added

Gnote

Well ill start by saying im still waiting for the pics from the camera that went for a swim but i have to get this down or ill forget it all:)

Myself and two friends packed into my little ranger and headed north may 15 after work, after 8 odd hours of driving we hit the trail. At about 300 in the morning we come up to a washout 30 ft wide and 15 feet deep. Shocked we thought of our options and decided to head back to the nearest town so we could call the other truck in the morning to tell them our new plan. We got a map, found a way around and after 3 hours of brutal trail we were at the lake. Water temp was 41 at the launch and we headed for the first bay. In about two feet of water my buddy raised two big pike but no takers. We started using jerkbaits with a stop and go retrieve and we started getting into fish. Nothing over 10 on day one so we headed in at dark with some new ideas. Day two brought cloudy skies and truck "b" showed up ready to fish. We headed west to hit the bays we missed the day before and they headed to where we went yesterday. Fishing was slow for us and we were experimenting with everything try to get takers. These fish would barely move until you nearly hit them with the boat. Boat b ended up getting two big fish in the bay we fished before one being 15 lbs and the other 17.5. The guy got both on a 6 in grandma on a stop and go retrieve. Day three brings sunshine and as the water warmed up so did the fishing. We did well with numbers but again nothing over 10 lbs, boat b " allegedly " lost a monster trolling out of a bay on the west side of the lake that rolled on the surface and was gone. Well over 20 they said so we kept our hopes up.day four brings more sun and more fish including a 14.5 lb for the bow man and another 14 for the rookie in the middle, his pb since i taught him how to pike fish last year. Boat "b" sees all three guys get a pike over 15 lbs. Almost every fish is caught well inside the bays in less than 10 ft of water and on a stop and go system. Spoons spinners and trolling are not pulling their weight. The last day of fishing is overcast with rain coming. I had been unable to go back to town so we were right low on gas so we had to stay closer to the launch than i would have liked. We did really well for numbers but couldnt get the big ones to hit. When the rain started the bite was on big time we finished our day again with no big fish but a lot in the boat. Boat b had gas and killed it on day 5. The problem was that when the bite turned on the bowman stood up in the boat while listening to the radio and fell right out. After returning to shore and heading back out one got a beautiful 20 lb fish the unbalanced one caught another nice 15 and they all caught more than they could count between 5 and 15 lbs. For them it was the trip of a lifetime and i was proud of thier accomplishment. For us it didnt go as well but we had fun and learned a lot to put to use next year(100 l of gas). Also no one beat my fish from last year which allowed me some measure of pride retained. On the ride home i blew one trailer bearing and had another screaming so that provided some entertainment for the monday traffic, truck b blew the power steering. All in all im chompin at the bit for next year because there are a lot of big pike and with a little luck and a light chop we jist might get that 25+. p.s. As soon as i find out about the water camera pics i will post them. If they are wrecked you will have to wait for next years pics. Thanks for reading tightlines

Edited by Gallie

I use my phone as a camera and am much more careful than others. As for the gas if i could have fit another 5l can in my overstuffed overweight ranger i prob wouldve, lol i told those guys to pack light but some people dont listen. Ill be back soon with pics i hope

• 3 months later...

I can only get so much time off work or i would go once a month. I have fished up there in late sept but the big girls are harder to get after a seasons worth of pressure. When we go in spring we get first or second crack at them because there isnt exactly a whole lot of ice fishin going on. They are also a lot easier to find in spring but not always easier to catch :)