Split Grip vs Full for Musky

JoshS

I've always used full grip musky poles, mostly Premiers, Avids and Compres, but liked the looks of the new St. Croix Legend Tournament rods with the split grip. I went down to Gagnons a year ago and spent alot of time looking at the 8' model and really liked the feel of it so I bought it.

I paired it up with a Calcutta TE and it is, without a doubt, the best musky set-up I have ever used.

Not saying the split grip makes the difference, but to me it just feels good.

it'll be a matter of how it feels to you.. so go into a store, put the same reel you own on one and try it out

they are slightly lighter than a full grip, but really when you're dealing with the weight of a muskie combo it is negligable.

other than feel, there's no advantage one way or the other.

Edited by Raf

it'll be a matter of how it feels to you.. so go into a store, put the same reel you own on one and try it out

they are slightly lighter than a full grip, but really when you're dealing with the weight of a muskie combo it is negligable.

other than feel, there's no advantage one way or the other.

Your 100% correct about the weight Raf, but for me personally, I just liked the way it balanced with the reel and the overall feel of the whole combo.

Thanks Lew.. I actually read your post on that combo when I was doing some searching through old OFC posts earlier today. Looks like a sweet setup.

The rod I'm getting is the Lone Ranger St Croix Legend 8.5ft MH 3/4-3oz. I've handled both split grip and full and the split grip feels nicer. My issue with split grip is bruised ribs! The rod will be used 85% of the time for lighter bucktails, spinnerbaits, topwater, which split grip is a fine choice for. BUT I also throw cranks on this setup and some I like to fish like a jerkbait, on split grip I end up with a sore side after a day of fishing. So 85% of the time the split grip will be nicer... 15% of the time I'll have a sore side. My solution is a combo strictly for jerkbaits only but not in the budget for this year.

some I like to fish like a jerkbait, on split grip I end up with a sore side after a day of fishing.

OK, I'm missing something here Josh, why would a split grip hurt your sides while fishing jerkbaits but a full grip doesn't ??

How do the split grips fit in your rod holders? That's my concern with split grips for musky. Just feels like the full handles will be better long term for wear and tear in and out of the holders.

Alot of the musky guys, me included, use the DownEast holders for trolling so the grips don't really come into play. It's basically just the part of the rod below the reel that sit's in the holder.

Can't really speak of any other kind of holder myself.

How do the split grips fit in your rod holders? That's my concern with split grips for musky. Just feels like the full handles will be better long term for wear and tear in and out of the holders.

I won't be trolling with it. I'd get full for that.

I have both split grips and full and I definitely like the split grip better for casting straight retrieve lures like bucktails. They do feel nicer to me than full grips.

However I also like to throw lighter cranks like depthraiders on this combo that I like to fish really erratically with sharp rips. I use a similar split grip rod to the lone ranger for that application now and it kills the ribs after a few hours of ripping the depthraider.

However I'll be mainly using it for bucktails, spinnerbaits, topwaters so I think I'm going split and will just have to get a designated jerkbait rod down the line.

OK, I'm missing something here Josh, why would a split grip hurt your sides while fishing jerkbaits but a full grip doesn't ??

The exposed blank smacks against your ribs when using jerkbaits as opposed to the cork which cushions the impact.

Anyone else get this?

I've said this before and I'll say it again, "split grips" are nothing more than a marketing gimmic to save pennies on manufacturing costs with no real advantages that I can find after 38 years of rod building.

Pros, extremely limited.

Cons, many. Obvious one for musky rods, putting it into your your rod holder.

He probably tucks it up under his arm for the retrieve?

Same happens to me. It's fine if your jerking it strait down like when using a glider or jackpot, but when you are ripping cranks and the rod is moving across your body, you are going to have sore ribs after a 14-16 hour day.

Split grip handles are usually a bit longer too which gives more leverage for casting (especially overhead casts).

14-16 hours days???!!! :worthy:

I'd be surprised if I fish more than 6-8 and thats on a fishing dedicated trip.

He probably tucks it up under his arm for the retrieve?

That's it Roy. What Andrew said above sums it up pretty good. It only happens with ripping baits to the side and banging your ribs all day. A shorter jerkbait rod that doesn't smack the water on rips would be the ticket.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, "split grips" are nothing more than a marketing gimmic to save pennies on manufacturing costs with no real advantages that I can find after 38 years of rod building.

Pros, extremely limited.

Cons, many. Obvious one for musky rods, putting it into your your rod holder.

I've got 40 years of casting for muskies under my belt Chris and IMHO, the split grip that I'm currently using for bucktails and spinnerbaits feels much better than any other rod I've used. Maybe it's the split grip that works., or maybe not, but to me it's perfect and if and when I buy another musky pole, it'll probably be exactly the same as this one.

But again, that's just me.

It may be a marketing that has sold split grip rods and saved manufacturers money but it's not 100% a gimmick. They do have their advantages and make sense... like the way you are forced to hold the rod for longer/easier casts, a little saving on rod weight, nicer feel and balance. For bass and walleye, they seem to feel nicer, lighter, more sensitive. Damn those big fishing companies have me brainwashed!