Need tent recommendations

Fish4Eyes

I am looking at purchasing a new tent to accomodate 4 people, which would be a 8-10 person tent. It would be used primarily in the summer and not on backpacking trips. Anybody have any recommendations for a good durable tent that will keep me dry?

I have looked at the Coleman Instant Tent, but the reviews just don't seem consistent enough as alot of them leak and their customer service has gone downhill. Anybody have any experience with this line of tent?

Eureka makes a great tent, and they're usually not that expensive relative to other higher-end tents. Also have their manufacturing or distribution center in Burlington, in case there's ever a problem. Assume they may have factory sales as well.

Eureka makes a great tent,

I agree with Eureka, I had a 12x12 for years and it was excellent.

Very light, easy to set up and even in the heaviest rains it never leaked a drop. The top of the tent was all zippered flaps that could open completely for ventilation or keep them closed if you preferred.

Eureka makes a great tent, and they're usually not that expensive relative to other higher-end tents. Also have their manufacturing or distribution center in Burlington, in case there's ever a problem. Assume they may have factory sales as well.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

When I worked at Le Baron we sold a ton of Eureka tents. Other bands would get returned occasionally, Eurekas hardly ever. Exactly what Cram says, they're affordable, and located in Burlington. Most of their products have a lifetime warranty as well.

Edited by ADB

I can also add the chrous of happy eureka tent owners. best set of advice outside of brand is that for a tent to be good and waterproof it actually needs a proper fly that cover the whole tent and make sure the rains drains off of it.

Alot of the tents at canadian tire only have fly's that come down half way so your walls get wet and so do you.

Lew: did you find the 12x12 too big or just right for your needs? How many people do you typically camp with? I see Eureka sells a 10x13 and 12x14 tent.

The funny thing is I stayed in the tent by myself so the 12 x 12 was excellent. I like to have lotsa space, specially if the weather is bad. My brother was the same and he'd put a 12 x 12 up right beside me.

My wife joins me now on all my trips and has no interest in tenting so now we always rent cabins. I must be getting old and soft though cause now on those cold dirty rainy nights it sure is nice to be snug and dry inside a cabin :lol:

I can also add the chrous of happy eureka tent owners. best set of advice outside of brand is that for a tent to be good and waterproof it actually needs a proper fly that cover the whole tent and make sure the rains drains off of it.

Alot of the tents at canadian tire only have fly's that come down half way so your walls get wet and so do you.

I hear what your saying. My train of thought is that if the fly covers all the way to the ground, then there is much less ventilation and air circulation. You would wake up soaked from lack of ventilation and or scorch during a rain storm or hot summer day.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

I have had the Costco monster tent for years now, it is inexpensive, well built and well designed and I have weathered some torrential downpours without getting wet in the least, and frankly on some occasions I have been certain we would get wet due to how heavy the rain was. I have had it at least 6 seasons if not more and I am completely satisfied! Just another option!

I hear what your saying. My train of thought is that if the fly covers all the way to the ground, then there is much less ventilation and air circulation. You would wake up soaked from lack of ventilation and or scorch during a rain storm or hot summer day.

If the tent is designed well this won't happen. My Eureka for example is all mesh on the sidewalls from about 12 inches off the ground. Plus the fly is built with vents and sits several inches off of the tent. I hope that helps.

If the tent is designed well this won't happen. My Eureka for example is all mesh on the sidewalls from about 12 inches off the ground. Plus the fly is built with vents and sits several inches off of the tent. I hope that helps.

Very true about a well designed tent. I have a Eureka Mountain Pass XTC 3 person tent with full fly and no condensation problem. Sometimes I rise really early to go out and take pix--I leave my wife in XTC! . :)

I have a big anges tent that I've been happy with. Not cheap but great quality. Plus they have a wide variety of sizes and models

Big Agnes makes some great stuff as well. More expensive, but more technical than Eureka.

MTBF: I was looking at the Copper Canyon 8 or 12. Did you order yours online from the site above? For comparison, LeBarons has the Copper Canyon 12 priced at $378 and the above link has it at $469 USD.

We have the Northern Canyon (Cdn version of Copper Canyon) for car camping and El Capitan for canoe trips. You'll see the Canadian ones at http://www.eurekatentscanada.com.

MTBF: I was looking at the Copper Canyon 8 or 12. Did you order yours online from the site above? For comparison, LeBarons has the Copper Canyon 12 priced at $378 and the above link has it at $469 USD.

My tent was in stock where I work (Gagnon's) this spring so brought it home then. Yes the site has high prices but I assure you the retail will be much lower if we ordered you one. Pick out a model and send a PM, I'll look up our cost and will give you a estimate on price next week. We stock some tent's but have some of "so so" tents left from the tent sale, special order any time your ready, if Johnson ourdoors has it in stock it would take no less than 2 weeks.

MTBF

Could be worth checking out...

http://trailswag.ca/blog/2013/4/23/2013-coleman-canada-warehouse-sale

My friends and I purchased our tent and sleeping bags at Tent City in North York

We bought a demo model that was in great shape and have never had an issue with it, a bit of seam sealer and it was good to go

Held up fine over 3 rainy days last summer at Restoule

I just bought a nice Coleman 8 person tent at Costco. Kept us warm during the May 24 weekend

Did you buy it this year by any chance? The grey and orange one they have on display (think its called Summer Dome)? If thats the one I was skeptical about it because it doesn't look like there is any ventilation as the fly goes to the ground? If that's the one, did you wake up damp from condensation?