Salmon Set-Ups.

Moosebunk

May get the time this year to take a first kick at the can out of Port Hope. If I do, it'll probably just be myself and one other. Have dipsies, riggers, planers, 4-core and rods..

Thing is, the reels are three 17 and one 27 series Daiwa's / Shimanos. Little small because it's all for Quinte walleye. Each is spooled with about 750 ft. 40lb braid. One 800+ 50lb... and the TDR has 17 or 20lb Big Game on it.

Wondering if I'd be needing to beef up these reels? And if using braid will be fine for a tour or two?

No man, those will be fine, lol. I run 27 and 47 Sealines, and have never EVER been close to get spooled. Use the braid for the dipsys and the mono setups for the riggers.

Also remember to run cheaters off the riggers as well.

Edited by BillM

I'm predicting we'll be seeing some Rex Bunkasaurus soon. :)

Hopefully Roy. Have a window to try in July but with the hectic "vacation" schedule this summer, work may shut that door while they've got me around. Have caught fresh Chinooks in the Fraser River, never one on open water. Any fish will do...

Hey Drew, get in touch when your down this way. I have all the reels etc you would need, and your welcome to use them.

I'd be a bit leary with only 750yds of line. I've had several fish peel off more than that. I've had fish peel that off in one good rip lol. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, you don't want to lose 'em!!

Keep in touch. I'll have the low down on what's working and where if your down this way ;)

S.

Hey Drew, get in touch when your down this way. I have all the reels etc you would need, and your welcome to use them.

I'd be a bit leary with only 750yds of line. I've had several fish peel off more than that. I've had fish peel that off in one good rip lol. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, you don't want to lose 'em!!

Keep in touch. I'll have the low down on what's working and where if your down this way ;)

S.

You've had fish strip off over 2200ft of line? I think your nose might be growing a bit :)

Can you fit on more Drew? Shanye may have the reels, I have the rods and lures ;)

We've been stripped out there before... but not usually until later Julyish. One was a derby winner for sure LOL

Yes, your right, that should read feet, not yds.

Regardless, get in touch. I'll be out there starting around mid june. Last year we started getting them around the end of may, but typically, its mid june-mid july that's best in this area.

S.

Guest ----

the thing is.....by the time the chinnies usually show up off Port Hope ( late june/early july ) the water fleas have also shown up. I wouldn't want to be fishing near fleas with braided line.....trust me. You will either want 40lb + mono or flea flicker line. I use 20 lb flea flicker with about a rod length flouro leader and I have been reasonably happy with it....you may have to let out ALL of your line once in a while to deal with line twist....although if you use good swivels and clean the crud off when changing lures you'll be ok. Your braid dipsy's will also be useless.....this is when wire really shines cutting right through the little buggers. A 47 size daiwa, 30 size okuma or 500/600 size shimano is what most guys use for mono or wire divers. mono holds better in your realese clips and allows you to really load up your rigger rods. with your current setup No fleas and your good...fleas stay home unless you like losing gear and getting pissed off.

Edited by merkinbrumsky

For the amount of time fleas are around, I don't ev en bother changing anything. You have to reel in and clear lines no matter what you use, so why use garbage line(flea flicker) or super heavy duty (40lb mono).

I find wire collects fleas just the same as braid, it just comes off the wire easier. It still messes up your rigging, and makes your lines run higher.

The best way to battle fleas, IMO, is to keep clearing lines. If a line is down longer than say 20 mins, it needs to be checked.

S.

Guest ----

Shaking off the dirty little buggers with 40lb braid is easy, no need to even touch them.

Try that with a tyee on the other end, to each their own....I get little to no accumulation on 20# FF and you reel right through it on wire, My buddy lost a potential GOSD fish several years ago due to water flea...simply couldn't wind past it. I am not taking that chance. The spiny water fleas are one thing but the fish hook fleas...even 50# mono won't stop.

[/url]">http://fleas_zps06085de5.jpg

Well, if you leave lines down for hours on end, they look like your photo.

Simple answer, check ur lines. It only takes 5 mins to reel in and reset, and it gives somebody something to do if the fishing is slow. If the fishing is on, they're not an issue.

S.

Well, if you leave lines down for hours on end, they look like your photo.

Simple answer, check ur lines. It only takes 5 mins to reel in and reset, and it gives somebody something to do if the fishing is slow. If the fishing is on, they're not an issue.

S.

Yup.... If you've got 6ft of water fleas on your line, you're definitely not checking your rig enough, lol! At most I'll see a foot or so... I'm checking them every 20-30mins when they are thick.

Appreciate the input gang. If getting the chance to go a couple days it'd likely be into mid July weather permitting. Fleas are something I haven't encountered other than in miniscule quantities up north. I'm in no hurry to break the bank on gear for something I may or may not do but once a year... but it's understood that once you get a taste for salmon fishing it can leave a real taste for more.

After 6 hours finally just put the guy on a magic carpet ride, hit the reset button and shocked his heart back to normal. He kept interested in this thread, salmon, gar, northern fishing.. and whatever other tales I was telling ti'll I hit him over the head with the drug hammer prep. lol.

Thanks all.