Minn Kota 55 power drive - help

Pangle

HI

Looking for advice for my electric motor. During the first outing of the year, I plug in the trolling motor and discover the variable speed does not work. The motor will turn on and off, turn left or right but is stuck on one speed (about 30-40% of full power). The battery was fully charged as well. Has anyone experienced this? I'm hoping it's a simple fix rather than buying a new foot control.

Any info is appreciated.

As for the fishing, a few hammer handles and a couple pigs of OOS smallies (at least 4lbs). All released for another day.

Thanks

That's the 2 wire (variable speed) model...if you connect the red and black wire directly to the battery the motor should run full speed. If it does, then you'll know that your control is the problem. Anyhow....that's my logic. :)

On the plus side, if you can afford the extra money, it may be a good time to upgrade to I pilot... I have last years version on my terrova and love it. I specifically went with the terrova because of all of the horror stories of having to replace the foot pedal every year or so. It seems they are not water proof and short out every once in a while...

If you want to upgrade to the I pilot, you would only be able to control the pedal with the remote but I barely use the foot control any more. Just make sure to keep extra remote batteries in the boat.

I'm not sure if the board is encased in plastic or not but if it isn't you might be able to see a crack in the solder. Happened to my wiper motor on my old chev..a simple touch up with a soldering iron and it worked good as new....

~~~Got a 101 from another member of the board worked great for 2 years till last year on Canal, then lost power, trouble shot it found I had power to the circuit board at the speed control then nothing, jumped wired over it, and had full power, Took it to a place in Pickering for service and should have it back soon. I'll PM you the name of the shop.