NF - Pressure Treated Wood Deck Refinishing Help

adempsey

Be careful if you sand the deck Jon. The chemical that treats the wood only goes into the lumber slightly, some brands deeper than others, Workwear may agree. Sanding will remove some of the treatment. Also all of the fasteners must be driven deeper if they are flush or protrude at all. It will tear up the sander if you touch a nail or screw. We have done it and the deck can look new, but be careful.

Very timely question as I was going to ask a similar one in a day or two. We finished our deck last year and when we started, it was in similar shape to yours. We used Sico deck cleaner and then power washed it. When dry, we used a Sico semi-transparent stain. Worked well until the snow melted this spring, when we realized that all the stain was peeling off. A rep from Dulux (also makes Sico) suggested that the deck had been previously treated with Thompson's water seal. We're not sure if that was the case but when we moved in, we found a container of Thompson's in the basement. The few people we have talked to since suggest sanding the deck. We might try this but with a smaller section to see what happens.

Good luck with your deck!

Jon

lol...ironmaker...youve brought back an experience i wish to forget....lol.....rented a power sander for a cedar deck....well had to change a few boards.....lol.....on the other hand...ive tried to sand ipe wood with 24 grit paper and after 8 hrs of sanding i had enuf....yes becareful with that power sander

as for london and penofin....ask your local paint dealer...try someone who carries a few labels...like para and benny moore....im sure they can bring it in for you....if not...my dealer is at avenue rd and the 401...mite be worth the trip...

you could give them a call ....they mite direct you to someone in london...call colour wave 416-783-3911

speak to tony or paul or blair.....

tellem i sent ya ....peter from pristine painting

best as i can do.....

as for london and penofin....ask your local paint dealer...try someone who carries a few labels...like para and benny moore....im sure they can bring it in for you....if not...my dealer is at avenue rd and the 401...mite be worth the trip...

you could give them a call ....they mite direct you to someone in london...call colour wave 416-783-3911

speak to tony or paul or blair.....

tellem i sent ya ....peter from pristine painting

best as i can do.....

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have family in Toronto still, and I also visit often enough, so it shouldn't be a problem to get if I can't find it locally.

Wet the deck and apply deck cleaner with a roller. Scrub for a few minutes then rinse off. I do about 4 x 8 ft section at a time. If you stain or paint after, you have just given yourself a new job every two yrs. Nothing works better than just leaving it alone and cleaning it every couple years.

Your deck looks good to me.

Superdeck is a great product, made by Duckback. I'd recommend using the cleaner then the brightener and finally the stain. The cleaner will remove any existing sealers, mould, mildew and dirt. The brightener basically bleaches the wood so the stain can really penetrate. The semi-transparent stain is a one coat system and the colours are awesome. I'd recommend giving it a super diluted cleaning the following year and re-apply another coat.

Hope that helps...

If you stain or paint after, you have just given yourself a new job every two yrs.

I've got a 50' X 12' pressure treated deck with a 16' bump-out at one end and have just finished installing new aluminum railings all around and down the stairs.

Now I'm thinking of some type of stain, but with it being so big I don't want to get into re-doing the darned thing every couple years and am also thinking perhaps just go with a good commercial cleaner instead.

Yep, just leave them alone guys. Your only making work. Your deck isn't going to last any longer by doing any of that. It may look a little cleaner, but keeping it up every spring cuts into fishing time!

Lew, your deck looks mint! I can imagine how nice its looking with the new rails!

S.

Lew, your deck looks mint! I can imagine how nice its looking with the new rails!

S.

Yeah, it turned out pretty nice Shane, took me a couple days to install it but it's well worth it.

001-5.jpg

002.jpg