Worm hunting?

Canadian1995

caught this on tv

drive wooden stake in the ground with a piece of iron bar saw it back and forth over the top of stake

causes the stake to moan and vibrate.worms will come to the surface..

it actually works very well especially near damp wet marshy areas

Like others have said wait for a rainy day and go out about an hour after dark, a good tip that someone posted about a month ago was to stretch a red plastic bag over your flashlight using an elastic, the worms aren't as sensitive to the red light. Good luck! :)

And here's rich's tip on steroids in action

I just wait for a rainy day and hit my backyard at like 11pm.... Nightcrawlers will be everywhere on those nights.

Give the lawn a good soak then wait until a hour or so after dark. Or wait for a rainy day

If you are really hard up, hit a patch of weedy grass with a bucket of dish soap/water. If there are worms they will come up and be easy to pick. Do not do the same spot more than once.

caught this on tv

drive wooden stake in the ground with a piece of iron bar saw it back and forth over the top of stake

causes the stake to moan and vibrate.worms will come to the surface..

it actually works very well especially near damp wet marshy areas

Like others have said wait for a rainy day and go out about an hour after dark, a good tip that someone posted about a month ago was to stretch a red plastic bag over your flashlight using an elastic, the worms aren't as sensitive to the red light. Good luck! :)

And here's rich's tip on steroids in action

I used to go out to local ball diamonds at night and pick them.

They are really easy to see and capture on that crushed chip rock stuff they use on the diamonds in Southern Ontario.

thanks for all the tips guys, i just got back in from soaking half my backyard in water/tobasco sauce and other half in soapy water.. its 9:21 p.m is that too early to expect anything? and i tried doing the stake method with a hockey stick and a rake, but i felt i was going no where.

what the hell 14 years with a black walnut tree and I did not know that. I would take out 3-7 big garbage cans of them each fall to the curb, had I know this I would have hoarded them. I will be asking my old neighbour for some this year she is going to be looking at me funny as we would complain and compair how many would be hidden around each fall now I want them LOL.

Best worm picking grounds are yards with dogs... I believe the dog poop has something to do with it... Once our family dog died the worm picking got worse and worse....

A rainy day should get you 100 worms fairly easily...

In a hurry water and bleach.... I bleached my live well a few times and drained into the driveway/lawn... and worms were up in no time...

for trout or panfish i like red wigglers that breed like crazy in the compost bin. it's nice flipping over a melon rind and having hundreds of worms clumped together in a ball just waiting to be bait...

to catch earthworms try to search at the bottom of hills when there is dew on the grass or after a rain. a red balloon stretched over your flashlight or the red material from "EXIT" signs works great.

If you don't have dew worms in your yard, simply stock them. I grew up in a new housing area where the ground was muskeg based. There was not a dew worm to be found anywhere. So I started releasing leftovers that I bought elsewhere after fishing trips. Within a year or two the whole neighbourhood was crawling with them. Easy pickin's for life after that.