Carp Fishing for the first time.

NAW

I have never targeted Carp before. But Team 1 needs one. So I'm going to give it an honest effort.

There are a few dedicated carp fisherman on this forum. I've got a few questions for you, to try to maximize my chance for success.

If anyone has any information they are willing to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

These are the questions I have come up with so far:

1. Is early spring a good time for carp? The ice came off the lake last week. I plan on going out this weekend.

2. What would be an ideal bait this time of year. I was thinking about bringing some corn, bread, shrimp. Should I get some Boilies? Of so, what flavour?

3. I am going to try Orr Lake because it is close. And I know there is a population of carp in there. The lake is only about 4 - 5 feet deep on average. Very silty. And very shallow bays. The entire lake is soft bottom. Should I stay close to shore, close to reeds, right in the middle? I really don't know where to start.

4. I was going to try a few rigs. Maybe a slip sinker, with some corn in a roe bag? Or one of those rigs you see all the guys using with the boilies.. See link below.. But I don't know how good this would be with a very soft bottom?

http://www.carp-fishing-tactics.com/rigs-fizzing-boilie-rig.html

5. Carp are not listed in the regs for Zone 16. So I am assuming the angling season for them is open all year? I know for bow fishing, it is only open for a few weeks or so...

6. If I am fishing a spot, and not getting any bites, should I wait it out, or run and gun till I see them?

I'm going to do a bunch more research, and use the OFC search function to dig up some carp fishing posts. But I thought this would be a good start to my research.

Thanks in advanced for any help you can provide.

Edited by N.A.W

I'm far from an expert having jumped into carp fishing the last 2-3 years with both feet.

#1 - Yes Spring is a great time and key to finding the carp is to look for inlets. bays, creek mouths with the warmest water

#2 - Corn and bread balls are fine. A couple extra can of sweet corn to help chum the area is also a good idea

#3 - Try and scout around a bit. In spring I have found new spots by actually seeing carp cruising in the shallows. The warmer the water the better

#4 - Corn can be put right on the hook. Guys fishing beside me last week did this and they caught. Hair rigs are great and will allow you more hook ups as the hook catches when the carp takes the bait back into their throat to eat it. Takes a bit to get used to them but not that difficult. I tie my own and have learned that your really need a bit heavier line/braid on these rigs to avoid tangles with your weight. The softer the bottom the longer the lead after your weight. If the weight sinks in a couple inches you want your bait to sit up on the bottom. I use 6-10" leads on hard bottoms and have 12-16" leads for really soft mucky stuff using 1-3 oz weights. You may not need that heavy of weight where you are though.

#6 - I always like to see a bit of activity in a new spot or at least take it for granted if there are other anglers out fishing for carp. As the water warms one thing to keep an eye out for is tell tale bubble streams. As you bait an area and carp come into feed they will root around and stir up the bottom. You'll see areas of mud cloud or active bubbles where carp are feeding especially in the area your baiting.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get into them

I know Carp fishing / rigs can get quite complex but really, a rig nothing more than this will work:

carp-rig.jpg

Cast it out, let it sink, tighten the line, set the rod on a stick-tripod and wait. Don't stray too far if you don't want to lose your rod. You can attach a bell to the tip of your rod for a strike alarm.

Edited by Raf

car.JPGSimple carp set up.

Bell sinker, split shot and hook.

Bread makes great bait and an even bettr strike indicator on the line.

Prefer corn, toss a hanfull of kernals around your bait.

Simple but works. Good Luck

I am a arteeeest.

Edited by Harrison

You want 50+ degree water temps to help your chances....

Canned sweet corn works well... Pineapple boilies are good too...

I'd try to fish minimum 3 feet deep for larger fish..... Back bays and creeks are good early...

If you can figure out how to tie a "hair rig" they work well... YouTube has a ton of videos on this...

Carp should be open year round.... I don't know anywhere with a season on carp with a rod and reel...

A trick for finding where they feed us to put some corn in one day where you can see it... Go back the next day... If its gone you got a spot... Also... If you have multiple locations to choose from take a drive... Spend an hour looking for fish... If you see fish then you'll have confidence in your spot...

Edited by Mike Rousseau

attachicon.gifcar.JPGSimple carp set up.

Bell sinker, split shot and hook.

Bread makes great bait and an even bettr strike indicator on the line.

Prefer corn, toss a hanfull of kernals around your bait.

Simple but works. Good Luck

I am a arteeeest.

My favourite rig :) I also like using a very soft tipped rod if you aren't using a float, it helps detect bite's if you don't have an alarm ;)

I like to chum an area with boiled maize for a few days to get the carp coming in to feed then chum lightly before setting up my equipment...I then use a hair rig baited with corn, or boilie on the hair or a combination of both...I also have a free running spring feeder just above the hair rig packed with ground bait...this gives me lots of weight to cast far out...I prefer to use an alarm, an 11 ft. carp rod and a bait runner reel (less chance of losing my equipment unless I forget to set the "free spool" lever)...

Alarms, bank stix, spring feeders and most carp gear can be purchased on-line from New World Carp...

I hope you get a big 'un Mate...

Edited by Beans

I'm far from an expert having jumped into carp fishing the last 2-3 years with both feet.

Thanks Fang. I appreciate it!

I know Carp fishing / rigs can get quite complex but really, a rig nothing more than this will work:

That is very similar to what I had in mind. Thanks for the photo. :thumbsup_anim:

attachicon.gifcar.JPGSimple carp set up.

I am a arteeeest.

That's great man!

Do you do anything to make the bread stick to one specific spot on your line?

Search out Hammercarp's recent post( search: "Carpin Southern Style" )and you'll get a great tutorial with a lot of your questions answered. It's a great read, particularly for beginning carpers.

I remember that one. I'll dig it up. Thanks!

A trick for finding where they feed us to put some corn in one day where you can see it... Go back the next day... If its gone you got a spot... Also... If you have multiple locations to choose from take a drive... Spend an hour looking for fish... If you see fish then you'll have confidence in your spot...

I like to chum an area with boiled maize for a few days to get the carp coming in to feed t

Chumming the area shouldn't be a problem. It's about 200 yards from my house! I've seen the sling shot idea. I may give that a try just for the fun of it!

Once the water temps hit 50+ degrees... Don't be afraid to really chum...

Say I have plans to fish a spot Saturday... I'll chum 4-5 gallons of corn/maize/boiled cow corn on Wednesday... Then another 4-5 gallons Friday night... Then fish Saturday really early.... Typically there isn't a kernel to be seen Saturday morning... And while I'm fishing... If they are active... I'll go through another 4-5 gallons of corn.... They're pigs... They'll eat it up...

Hook, splitshot, corn.

Learning how to get them to bite and where they are located is far more important than your rig.

You can chum with buckets of bait all day in one spot, or use modest amounts and move to stay on fresh fish all day.

Really, there's no wrong way to do it. Good luck, the most important step is finding active ones in the spring, I find.

Do you do anything to make the bread stick to one specific spot on your line?

NAW, just pressure. Squeeze it on, a cheap alternative to an alarm. Sometimes the fish will knock it off if they hit hard enough, but it flys off for sure when you set the hook.

Wow!! 4-5 gallons!!!!! I was thinking a few handfuls..

How big of an area do you spread that out over?

50'x50' max.... For prebaiting I spread it around... While fishing I bait the smallest area possible....

I'm also on a carp factory... A lot if days I have 100+ carp in the area I'm targeting for the day...

If your really confident in a spot you pick I'd put a gallon out for sure.... And a few handful where you can see the corn if possible... That's to let you know if they're eating it...

So I just get some cow corn from one of the neighboring farms. Boil it for a while in water, then I'm good to go? Or do you mix in some ingredients to make it taste better while it's boiling?

It's best to soak the corn for 12-24 hours... Then boil for 30 minutes....

You can add anything you want for flavor... That's the fun if carpin...

I like strawberry kool aid.... Turns the tips of the corn pink....

The corn is cheap to... I think I get 40kg for $15 here...that will make 4-6 pails.... At any feed store... Or TSC...

Edited by Mike Rousseau

If you have a store around that sells wild bird seed you may be able to pick up smaller bags of the feed corn too. I buy 4kg bags at Rens Pet Depot here in Oakville for $3.99 I think. You can also get cans of sweet corn and packs of oats at the dollar store that come in handy for bait/chumming

For those that don't know of or are interested in getting more into Carp fishing - New World Carp (Hamilton) is having an open house this Saturday. Good place to show up and see some neat stuff. There will be loads of carp guys in and out of there and good chance to pick up some decent deals and tips

A mix I also use...

1-2 cans of corn

4 cans Panko bread crumbs

2 cans rolled oats

1 can honey or any syrup

Empty the can of corn first then use the can to measure.... This mix needs to be made the day/night before you wanna use it...

Once this mix sits overnight you will be able to make a ball with it... Just like making a snowball... Then you can throw them in to chum...You can also make a ball of bait around your sinker to attract fish to your hook... These balls will breakdown once in the water leaving you with nice little white and yellow piles of food... Very visible....

So I just get some cow corn from one of the neighboring farms. Boil it for a while in water, then I'm good to go? Or do you mix in some ingredients to make it taste better while it's boiling?

I boil my corn 20 minutes with a good handful of brown sugar and a handful of sea salt...after it cools I add 1/4 of a bottle of anise (Bulk Barn)...I find if you boil the anise you lose the alcohol...which will slow the fermenting...

I add the flavoured water from the corn to my ground bait...

Start off light with the bait until you find a spot, for lots of large fish in big water like Mike sees, gallons may be the order of the day but a small handful (half a cup to a cup) thrown where you can see it will still get eaten and will do just fine as a bed of bait as well. If they're not used to beds of bait, it spook them as much as attract them especially in shallow water. I just buy the larger cans from somewhere like Food Basics and take two with me but aalmost alway come home with one unopened. I don't bother with flavours or anything, the liquid the corn is in is nice and sweet.

For rigs, I find hair rigs more effective than straight hooking but that could just be a confidence thing for me, otherwise I use the same as the pics above (Harrison - best rig pic - ever! :))

Good luck!

I really appreciate the help from everyone here!

Thanks to you guys, I'll be going in with a few tricks up my sleeve.

Here's my plans. Critiques are welcome. Just keep in mind I work 60 hour weeks, and have a 7 month old boy at home... Time is limited.

Friday night - Get the tinner ready to be put in for the season.

Saturday afternoon- Launch the boat, and bait 3 or 4 potential spots. Just going with canned corn for now. 1 can at each spot.

Sunday monring - Check the bait locations. Fish the spot with the least amount of corn first.

Sunday afternoon - Register a big fat carp with the Queen.

Thanks again everyone for the help!