Trolling motor battery help.

Beats

I have just acquired a 10' jon boat that will primarily be fishing a small pond in the area. I am going to be purchasing a trolling motor soon for it and I have been told that a 30 lb thrust motor would be best for it. Reason being that anything much higher that 30lb and you are going too fast to troll effectively in a small boat. Or so Im told.

I am looking for help in the battery department. I have zero experience with both trolling motors and the required batteries. I will probably be getting a Minnkota 30lb model.

Can anyone recommend a battery make/model that would be appropriate? I have done a search on here and have about 20 windows/topics open that I am going through but I am wondering if anyone knows of any current deals or upcoming deals?

Deep Cycle seems to be what is best, but any opinions for a boat my size? I'd like something that I won't be replacing in 2 years and yet not going overkill.

Thanks.

More important than the battery, get a proper deep cycle battery charger, and make sure to charge your battery after every use.

Brand of battery isn't really important, but a group 27 size will suit your needs, and then somme.

The kirklands from costco are great, and the price is right!

S.

Go to Costco and pick yourself up a Kirkland group 27 deep cycle battery and you be good to go.

Mines in its 5th year and still going strong. Price was right as well. I keep a trickle charger on it as well during winter months. Helps to keep it from sulphating.

I have just acquired a 10' jon boat that will primarily be fishing a small pond in the area. I am going to be purchasing a trolling motor soon for it and I have been told that a 30 lb thrust motor would be best for it. Reason being that anything much higher that 30lb and you are going too fast to troll effectively in a small boat. Or so Im told.

30 lbs should be fine for a 10' boat; but I don't think there is any downside to going with more thrust. You can just use a lower power setting if want to slow down. Some extra thrust may come in handy when turning into the wind.

I would try to get a motor with a built in Maximizer. That will give you infinitely variable speed and longer battery life.

I have good luck with Energizer batteries which are pretty reasonable at Walmart.

Just tried my new 30 lb motor today on the holland river in a 16 foot canoe . Had it running off a 31 Deka battery and it went all day with power to spare. Got it all at Lebaron $360 out the door with a Minn Kota battery box that had 2 lighter ports too for plugging other stuff too..