Fishing electronics retailer in Canada?

BillM

Hey guys, looking at upgrading the electronics on the boat. Specifically looking at the Humminbird 898c HD SI to go along with the I-Pilot Link equipped Terrova I just picked up.. From what I've seen, I'll be dropping close to $400 more to purchase the same unit up here as I will in the US. I'm all for supporting Canadian vendors, but not to the tune of an extra $400 out of my pocket. I've been looking around for the past few weeks and it looks like I can get the unit I'm after for just under $1300 US. If anyone can give me some suggestions on some Canadian retailers I should check out, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm not sure if this is the exact unit you are seeking , but it seems to be $1433.00 there is no shipping cost for super saver shipping and it is Canadian pricing at Amazon.ca.

http://www.amazon.ca/Humminbird-407820-1-Waterproof-Chartplotter-Sounder/dp/B0032MUHI8

If you go with the 858 combo.. there is a $100 mail in rebate that I just got an email about from Johnson Outdoors. Doesn't include the 898 though...

Wayne, like you said no rebate on the 898c model unfortunately... It's come down to two units... The 898c HD SI or the 998c HD SI, now I just gotta figure out if the extra screen size is worth it or not, lol.

Bill M, I don't know if you've seen the 2 units up close, but I just returned the 898c in exchange for 998c for the simple reason the framing around the 898c seems to over power the screen size, making the screen look small. Now the framing around the 998c is a lot smaller which makes the screen look huge. Even thou it's only a 1 inch increase in screen size it appears to look a lot larger. Both units are the same size physically. Like I said I had some cash saved up + gift cards + the price match so it really didn't hurt that much. Was it worth the extra money for the 1 inch difference? I'm happy .

Bill M, I don't know if you've seen the 2 units up close, but I just returned the 898c in exchange for 998c for the simple reason the framing around the 898c seems to over power the screen size, making the screen look small. Now the framing around the 998c is a lot smaller which makes the screen look huge. Even thou it's only a 1 inch increase in screen size it appears to look a lot larger. Both units are the same size physically. Like I said I had some cash saved up + gift cards + the price match so it really didn't hurt that much. Was it worth the extra money for the 1 inch difference? I'm happy .

Yeah, the 898C and the 998C use the same physical casing.. The framing does make the 898c 'look' small, although I've gotta compare then side by side... Either one is a killer unit no doubt about it.

If $ is the bottom line large American corporations will win over a Canadian retailer almost everytime. Just the hard facts of retail in the great white north.

Especailly when buying US online, then shipping to a US address. Might as well be Florida buying it on vacation.

Anyone who has imported for resale in Canada will understand.

In the words of Bruce "That's just the way it is"

Good luck on your search Bill :)

Edited by Harrison

Yeah, the 898C and the 998C use the same physical casing.. The framing does make the 898c 'look' small, although I've gotta compare then side by side... Either one is a killer unit no doubt about it.

I'm looking at getting a new fishfinder and the 858c HD DI is one of the options. When I saw it at Le Baron though it looked cheap simply based on the casing. I know it's a great unit, but at first glance, it just looks cheap because you see a lot of plastic. The 900 series looks a lot cleaner.

Looked at the 898c and the 998c today side by side, I don't think the extra $400 is worth it for the 998c. If the 998c had a higher resolution then perhaps, but all you're getting is a bigger screen with the exact same data on it.. I'm surprised Humminbird did this to be honest. Bigger screen, bigger fonts doesn't make much sense.

Edited by BillM

You already paid the tax at checkout, so I wouldn't expect any extra charges at your door when it shows up.

Yup,new wader boots will be here Friday,so they say.

Sorry Bill,didnt mean to derail your thread.

Edited by Misfish

No worries man, buying new stuff is always fun,regardless of what it is! LOL!

I agree!!

Just ordered up some goodies for my boat.

Finally bought the wireless setup for my Minn Kota and also picked up the universal sonar cable to hook up one of my finders in the front. :D

I agree!!

Just ordered up some goodies for my boat.

Finally bought the wireless setup for my Minn Kota and also picked up the universal sonar cable to hook up one of my finders in the front. :D

I'm waiting on a Terrova 80lb 60in US2 with I-Pilot Link!!!! And of course I gotta buy a new Humminbird to control it, lol!!! My oldman just shakes his head when I tell him all the new stuff that's going on the boat.. Also gotta install my Depth Raider as well.. Going to be a fun year out on the water!

The funny thing is the co-pilot cost me more than the motor.

I got a stupid cheap deal on a "used" one.

A guy in town put his up for sale because he got it in his boat package when he bought it new in 2007.

The TM had never been used in the 3 years he had owned it.

Got the motor and the quick release mount for $150.

It's a Gen V1 Minn Kota Powerdrive 80# 24V with Auto Pilot and Universal Sonar.

SCORE!!!!! :lol:

When it came up for sale on the local trader site I saw it 30 minutes after it was posted I couldn't get there fast enough!!! :good::good: