What rod would you buy for casting to steelhead?

Rod Caster

Looking to spend around $100. I was thinking 8-10 feet long and used with a spinning reel. I don't get to fish to often for steelhead, so I also want to use it on big rivers for walleye, catfish, maybe carp etc.

I prefer a stiff and very sensitive rod... casting no more than 1/2 oz lures.

I'm assuming "steelhead" rods are used for float fishing more than casting??

I'll price out/research any suggestions on this thread. Thanks in advance.

I fish with hardware almost as much as my float rod and I'm pretty picky about my rods. In general you want a rod with a little more oomph than you might normally choose. I prefer a rod with a soft sensitive tip and a rigid lower 2/3 with tons of power, preferably between 10 and 11'.

Off the rack a great value (but more than your budget allows) is the 101/2' St. Croix Avid rated 8-12lb.

The same rod rated 6-10 is "okay" but not quite as ballsy enough for my liking.

A cheaper second choice off the rack is an 111/2' Raven IM6 rated 6-12lb.

For me I can't find "precisely" what I'm looking for off the rack so have no option other than to have one built.

I'm currently fishing a fast action 11' CTS rated 6-10lb and it's fulfilling my needs quite nicely.

One final note, when throwing hardware for steelhead you don't have to finesse them, it's totally a reaction strike. For all the same reasons I run braid for other species I also do for steelhead. Recently I've been running 15lb power pro super slick with a 2' fluoro tippet of either 10 or 12lb test.

Real gorilla stuff compared to my floatfishing set ups, but it's a completely different style of fishing.

Thanks for your input Mike.

I guess an 8 foot rod isnt really that much longer than my 7" st croix. I'll look for longer models as you suggested.

Your line setup is pretty much exactly what I use for casting rainbows. Can't beat braid for casting long distances with fairly heavy spoons/spinners.

What is the descriptor for the type of rod you are referring to? Float rod? Steelhead rod?

If all you want to do is float fish or chuck metal, you are ignoring one of the best methods for catching chrome. Bottom Bouncing!!!! I haven't yet found a rod that does all three types of fishing perfectly and the only rod that I have come across that does all three very well is a Shakespeare Catera IM-8 11.5 ft with a michigan handle. Sadly they don't make them anymore. Definitely the best 69.99 I ever spent on a rod though. What makes it better than the other 5 or 6 rods I have as an all around rod is the fact that the last 4 eyes before the tip are single foot and all the others are double foot giving it incredible backbone and strength to drill spoons incredible distances. The tip is extremely sensitive so by changing the way you load up the rod to cast you can get great casts with a float and keep the worm on the hook. For bottom bouncing you can cast it far with a light setup of split shot and then feel the difference between a rock and bite as it bounces along.

I personally would look for any 11.5ft plus rod in my price range. The 10.5 or less I find don't have the casting power I want, without having to use way too much weight. (which can snap a tip off even the most expensive rod) Also the more weight and effort you have to use will tire you out that much faster if you are going to be out fishing for 6 or 7 hr trips.

However, if you can find Quantam 10.5 ft Michigan handle steelhead rod they are a good compromise, the (Scam)ano convergence 10.5ft with the michigan handle is a good rod too. The regular handle convergence or clarius is way too long for chucking spoons you will find it wrapped up in your coat almost every cast... or least everyone I know who has one does.

Check out the Shimano Convergence line.. Cheap and they do the job. I've landed all kinds of steelhead/chinooks with mine.. It's nothing fancy but the fish don't seem to care very much :) Right around the $70 range.

I guess I buck the trend here and go a little shorter. I use a Quantum Energy QES8642FAC 8.5ft medium action 6-12lb. It casts pretty far spooled with 8lb mono. I chose this rod because it is so light, the longer you go the more tip heavy these set ups get.

I use the 10.5ft Convergence for fall pier salmon but I cut a few inches off the butt to solve the handle caught in the coat issue.

Burt :)

Thanks for your input Mike.

I guess an 8 foot rod isnt really that much longer than my 7" st croix. I'll look for longer models as you suggested.

Your line setup is pretty much exactly what I use for casting rainbows. Can't beat braid for casting long distances with fairly heavy spoons/spinners.

What is the descriptor for the type of rod you are referring to? Float rod? Steelhead rod?

Would a long steelhead rod be referred to as a " noodle rod? " I don't rainbow or steelhead fish but I remember the crew talking about noodle rods, if it's not a noodle rod exactly what is a noodle rod?

Would a long steelhead rod be referred to as a " noodle rod? " I don't rainbow or steelhead fish but I remember the crew talking about noodle rods, if it's not a noodle rod exactly what is a noodle rod?

Often yes, a long rod used for steelheading would be called a noodle rod but that would not be acurate. Noodle rods are not really good for casting spoons, spinners and plugs. They have a fairly uniform arc (or parabolic curve if you want to sound mathematical).

Edited by kickingfrog

Often yes, a long rod used for steelheading would be called a noodle rod but that would not be acurate. Noodle rods are not really good for casting spoons, spinners and plugs. They have a fairly uniform arc (or parabolic curve if you want to sound mathematical).

Noodle rods were all the rage back in the day.. They've pretty much have zero back bone and bend well into the handle. Even with a parabolic curve a rod can have some balls (Take an IMX for example).. Noodle rods probably killed more fish then anyone ever imagined, lol! I can't imagine trying to cast with one of those things. It would be like casting a spoon with one of my custom Fenwick fibreglass rigger rods.

Chad, I know nothing about steelhead fishing but I think I may have a rod that will work for you. When my neighbor's husband passed away a few years ago she gave me his fishing stuff. They were from Southern Ontario and he was a river fisher. She gave me 2 Daiwa VIPGX 66 rods. They are 2 piece 8.5 foot rods Medium Heavy Action 12-20 line rating.I really have no use for them and they just sit in my basement. Come take a look and see if that rod suits your needs.

Anyone know anything about these rods? NOTHING on the net about this exact model.

Edited by Nipfisher

Do you want it for float fishing, bottom bouncing, hardware, drifting, or speys?

Cuz ya pretty much need a seperate rod for each application.

There's no reason why you can't bottom bounce, chuck hardware and drift floats with the same rod... That shouldn't be very difficult.. No need for 8 different rods to catch steelhead, lol.

Noodle rods were all the rage back in the day.. They've pretty much have zero back bone and bend well into the handle. Even with a parabolic curve a rod can have some balls (Take an IMX for example).. Noodle rods probably killed more fish then anyone ever imagined, lol! I can't imagine trying to cast with one of those things. It would be like casting a spoon with one of my custom Fenwick fibreglass rigger rods.

Bill, I can't see anyone wanting to fish for Rainbows ( sorry, Steelhead) in a ditch with a 13' piece of Spaghetti with a cloth's line pulley while in spawning. I'd sooner fish with a ice fishing rod for Sheephead. Like you say, a good 7' rod and spinning reel chucking a spoon and a Rainbow, Bass, Muskie hit, now your talkin fun.

Sorry guys, just pulling your chain :D:rofl2: each to their own.

Now I got to cook up Perch and Eggs for breakfast, see ya.

Bill, I can't see anyone wanting to fish for Rainbows ( sorry, Steelhead) in a ditch with a 13' piece of Spaghetti with a cloth's line pulley while in spawning. I'd sooner fish with a ice fishing rod for Sheephead. Like you say, a good 7' rod and spinning reel chucking a spoon and a Rainbow, Bass, Muskie hit, now your talkin fun.

Sorry guys, just pulling your chain :D:rofl2: each to their own.

Now I got to cook up Perch and Eggs for breakfast, see ya.

Me either... Ditches aren't on the top of my list of places to fish :) :) Either is trying to entice fish while they are on the beds, lol! This is why when opener arrives, the steelhead gear goes in the closet until fall. I like chasing residents with the 4/6wt or chucking tiny spinners on UL gear.

Edited by BillM

Do you want it for float fishing, bottom bouncing, hardware, drifting, or speys?

mostly for hardware, a bit of bottom bouncing... I'd use it for walleye on big rivers as well.

We do a yearly manitoulin trip, my 6'6" med-light isn't enough, my 7' med-heavy is too noodeley and both are too short.

Maybe that's why I never got into rainbow and steelhead fishing, I would never be able to afford all those rods. And I never knew the difference between rainbow and steelhead, very confusing for a simple walleye and bass guy. Besides I don't want to walk 10 miles chasing a fish down a river, hard to do with a cast on your leg!

There's no reason why you can't bottom bounce, chuck hardware and drift floats with the same rod... That shouldn't be very difficult.. No need for 8 different rods to catch steelhead, lol.

Anything light enough to properly float fish will bust if you try chucking spoons on it... Trust me :(

mostly for hardware, a bit of bottom bouncing... I'd use it for walleye on big rivers as well.

We do a yearly manitoulin trip, my 6'6" med-light isn't enough, my 7' med-heavy is too noodeley and both are too short.

Ahh, okay. When I broke into steelheading a few years ago with a similar attitude to the old ironworker, I wanted the same thing. and honestly, I've had a bunch, but I'd reccomend the ugly stik lite steelhead/salmon rods. Near indestructible, competitively light, and can pretty well handle it all. I've had mine for 6 yrs. The only thing its not great for is speys, or float fishing. But will do those things.