Finally, the weather and winds cooperated and we got a chance to head down to the lake. Counted at least 12 trailers as we pulled into the parking lot,

DSCF0261_zpsc697b94c.jpg

took a moment to savour the view before getting down to work

DSCF0263_zps23dd02fe.jpg

the water is still seriously low

DSCF0265_zps8b511f7f.jpg

I was surprised with all the warm weather, and the way the rivers were up around our place, there were no mud lines.

the best we got was a little green tinged in the harbour and around the break wall. We set up as soon as we cleared the harbour and started looking for browns.

It was then I discovered the second "oops of the day" couldnt find the port planer board anywhere - I always leave them in the lockers? (Tomorrows search though the garage) Our first was, as we came down the Link, I realised I had forgot to put the life jackets back in the boat after clearing them out for the winter. A quick stop at the Grimsby CTC fixed that. Perhaps a sign of things to come for the day?

Anyway, as we motored out into the lake we travelled through what green we could find and were shortly into crystal clear blue following my spring brownie hunting path.

DSCF0269_zps59c83a6a.jpg

Things were a little slow. G was really excited about getting out and was up early. When you're 10, you can sleep anywhere.

DSCF0274_zps692f9670.jpg

While G was resting we got the one hit of the day - all of a sudden the light spinning rod just bends. We're in 22 foot of water I know its only diving 15 foot. As a I pull the rod from the holder I feel a head shake, the line starts to peel and then ,,,, nothing. Guess 10 lb line isn't enough even for the spring....

That was it for the day. BUT it was GREAT to get the boat out again and feel the water. Here's a few shots for those like me that live for the soft water season

DSCF0268_zps68fb4ed8.jpg

DSCF0277_zps9e913a56.jpg

DSCF0278_zps44784e4a.jpg

We've only just begun.

still looks like a nice morning! Next time wake G up to take the fish ;)

Oh, dont worry Christopher, if last year is any indication, he'll out fish me anyway.

Nice weather! I was fishing on 15" of ice today haha

the ice was good to you this year though, except for that little truck-in-a-rut thing anyway. You shoudl see some soft stuff in, oh a month or so?

I want to go fishing,I want to go fishing

DSCF0274_zps692f9670.jpg

LOL

You got out. Now when can I get down there?

I had to laugh - he was soooo pumped all day yesterday and last night. He heads up front to eat lunch in the sun, next thing you know, gone . Water temps today were 39 ~ 40, so maybe 3rd week in April you can come down here? - just before you open up, and then we can come try your lake? We should have some good spring action by then. Once we start boating a few we'll set something up.

Great report and Pics!!

A very 'Fun' first day.

thanks Rick - first day out is sweet whether we land one or not.

Edited by spincast

I'm jealous, some time this week I hope. Isn't it always the same on the first run every year, had all winter to get ready and it never fails to forget something very important, like leaving all the rods in the truck after making the 5 mile run down the river to the lake and before opening the rod locker realizing Oh no !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The water levels here on Erie are lower than they were last November and then just had enough to float the boat off without running out of dock, so I'm going to have to do some pre launch dock inspections tomorrow. Went out Turkey Point way Good Friday and worked back to Nanticoke checking everything between and found nothing open other than Hoovers or water levels so low would need a ladder to get into the barge. I should start a new thread. Hoovers is useable. Marina still closed though, no gas etc.

If anyone out this way wants to head out let me know, my regular net minder is incarcerated, (on a job site).

Spincast, looks like 50 point marina, haven't been there for many years. If anyone wants to sleep on my boat I'm more than happy to use his rigs, that's 2 more rods for me.