12 volt deep cycle batteries, recommendations and questions

Old Ironmaker

I currently run 2 12V deep cycles marine batteries in tandem to power 55lb MotorGuide front mount trolling motor. The unit is floor pedal wireless remote control circa 1996. Have problems maintaining a good charge, lasted a few hours 2 seasons ago and now less than an hour and the remote isn't doing what it was designed to do. Unit rotates on command but is unresponsive for motor to start and stop without pushing the start button more than a few times.

Batteries are 11 years old, I'm pretty sure they're done, bringing them in Monday for charge test.

Trolling motor may have seen better days as well. Can't seem to get any answers for MotorGuide other than buy a new one please, a new 24V unit isn't in the budget right now. Might mention boat is 19.5' deep v Starcraft, full windscreen, 115HP Merc. From what I know 12V probably won't move the barge well. 55lb was probably max back in 96'.

My questions are, if I need new batteries any recommendations?

Does anyone know of someone in Ontario, GTA/Niagara/London, that might service MotorGuide?

When charging should I select 5, 10 or 15 amp?

I don't disconnect the cables that put them in tandem, charge each while connected to one another, make a difference?

What is the difference between deep cycle and gel batteries,? never had a gel battery.

Thanks for any replies, thought I'd ask now before everyone is out on the water.

I run 2 Group 27 Interstates in parallel at 12 volts, charge at 10 amps with all wiring connected and into their fourth season they still punch out decent run time. Have gel house battery but offer no opinion vs lead acid. Start with new batteries. After 11 years of service it might be time to retire them.

Edited by moxie

If they are 11 years old, they owe you nothing and obviously you have treated them well. What brand/size are they, maybe you can get similar ones. If I was to go hardcore with a trolling motor, I would probably go with either the Odyssey or Deka brand, cost more, lasts longer.

+1 for Costco. I got one this past summer and it's been great so far. I just recharged it since havent had it charged in several months and it didn't even take that long to bring it up to full power again.

Edited by Gray_Wolf

If you had a battery that lasted 11 years, I wouldn't change brands.

What I use for deep cycle is Total Battery's Big Red.It is not light at 67lbs, but that means it has a lot of led in it. Never ever had issues with this battery. The one I use at the cottage is on its 7th year and going strong.

About trying your motor with a battery thats borrowed, one that a buddy has that is known to be good. That way you can see if your trolling motor is pooched. If not, pick up a pair of Kirklands and be done with it. Batteries need to be taken cafe of. Whatever you were doing, keep on doing it. 11 years out of deep cycles is pretty darn good.

Johnson Controls make good batteries. Sold by Costco, Walmart, Interstate etc... All the components are identical and come off of the exact same line. They are also the biggest supplier of OEM batteries.

The sealed AGM batteries are the best, can be charged and discharge about twice as many times, as more shock resistant and provide a much flatter power curve. The flatter power curve gives you full power right until the end. Then they just cut out and die. Can be good or bad. Depending on how mindful you are. Just be careful not to charge them too hot.