WSIB premiums? How much do you pay? NF

davey buoy

Last week I found out that my I/O status was now void.Being a industrial millwright in my field I was granted that for the last many many years. Now,I believe that has now gone by the wayside. In a nutshell,whoever employed me was not liable for any work related accident that happened to me in there location,caused by myself to myself.

So now things have changed.Along as paying monthly liability insurance in the 2 miilion range they now want me to pay approx,$4.166/$100 earned. In this economy I believe it's another money grab that I will have trouble passing on to my customers. I understand the law for employees(must have),but on your own?,I do have two other insurance plans that would cover loss of wages and the other mortgage insurance. I guess I will have to review my 1st policy and at this time may have to cancel one. This is a good thing I believe for myself,but does come with a cost.

Anyways,any other self employed guys paying this?,and how does my rate compare to yours?.

Pay,Pay,it never ends!

Any one need a reliable Millwright? completely covered !,? just saying .

As long as the workforce keeps shrinking, and producing jobs keep leaving the country, those who remain are going to be hit, over and over, by governments desperate to find new means of making up the shortfall. Higher taxes, new taxes, more taxes

yup welcome to WSIB mafia

www.beregisteredbeready.ca

you now as a business owner must pay WSIB on yourself, there are some limitations but they pretty much have all the bases covered

Nice thing is if you get hurt at work your covered WSIB...............ya right that will never happen

so ya its basically stealing hard earned money from you and I , our businesses and families, how convenient!

Your paying a small premium. There is a website you can go to and sign a petition to try and get rid of this latest cash grab. I pay 6.9 percent. I have three other insurances aside from this. WSIB in this province is a complete joke. I wish i only paid 25,000 a year.

I just had to deal with this Bull myself. You are right, it is nothing more than a cash grab as I have my own private insurance. Your rate is based on your trade, and risk factors involved. Roofers/framers etc are around 9% , so your rate seems decent. Either way, I don't think it should be required.

Yes it seems steep. For me as a residential contractor I too now pay, $8.88 this year, next year they are up to $9.10 Thats basically a 10% cost increase to the client. On the bright side, we will now have EXCELLENT insurance if god forbid we would ever need it. My other rate for agricultural construction is $4.10. This seems a little too far apart in premiums IMO. As I would say my agricultural jobs are even more hazardous than a home. Don't forget how evryone got to start paying full HST on labour also. So there you have a 17% increase in cost for a homeowner to hire someone to work on their house in the last few years. None of it in my pocket, I just have to explain it to all clients.

Edited by mcdougy

Been there done that... had to pay on myself. Even though I could never collect if something happened. Talk about Bull. There is a form that can exempt you, but good luck getting it approved.

They whine about the underground economy... They are the ones creating it! More and more cash jobs will happen avoiding the governments tax scheme..As people are sick of it. If anything they should be lowering taxes promoting small businesses to follow their taxation program increasing taxes does the opposite, as more and more people look to save a buck

Just as taxes on smokes promote the sale of them on the reserve, bypassing government taxes all together.

But as sheep we will gladly eat whatever the government shoves down our throats and beg for more.

sickens me.

G

Been there done that... had to pay on myself. Even though I could never collect if something happened. Talk about Bull. There is a form that can exempt you, but good luck getting it approved.

They whine about the underground economy... They are the ones creating it! More and more cash jobs will happen avoiding the governments tax scheme..As people are sick of it. If anything they should be lowering taxes promoting small businesses to follow their taxation program increasing taxes does the opposite, as more and more people look to save a buck

Just as taxes on smokes promote the sale of them on the reserve, bypassing government taxes all together.

But as sheep we will gladly eat whatever the government shoves down our throats and beg for more.

sickens me.

G

This form you mention,where and how do I get one Gerritt?.

Edited by davey buoy

Davey buoy,

That waiver was available through the MOL before we had to close shop in 08' I believe, there is also a waiver available for your employees if you employ them as your subs, somewhat complicated but doable. Many of us have been there done that. As far as the premium for your guys premiums of $4.17 per $100.00 is not bad for an Industrial Millwright today. My last business venture had us paying more for workers comp per hour then I was paying a receptionist/girl Friday because she would have to into the warehouse at the shop to check on inventory for the guys on a job. More than $10.00/hr comp premium for a glacier building Sunrooms. As far as liability of 2 million, when I left the plant in 2000 you didn't get your crew past the gate if you didn't have a minimum of 25 million in liability. At a loss of revenue of $1500.00per minute 2 million wouldn't cover being down for 24 hours if a good decision went badly.

The biggest problem I see today vs. 20 years ago is that you have to compete with the Aacons and Kaverners of this world, on the same playing field and it just can not be done. We always hired the 20 man or less local companies to keep the local economy thriving as well as could always depend on them coming in within minutes of a call 24 hours a day. That all stopped in 90'. If you wanted to go back on the tools yourself where exactly are going to go to earn a fair rate with benefits, The Bruce or the North West Territories.

I hear you man. PM me if you think I can help somehow.

Thanks guys for the info,which I will read fully later. Why would I not be able to collect compensation for my self if I was hurt doing a repair?. I now will be paying WSIB insurance for that reason. Please enlighten me as if you pay for insurance for when you need it, it better be there.Why wouldn't it?.

Its a loooong story, and one I'd be happy to share in person sometime. Just. Don't get seriously hurt, and you'll be fine. I'm not talking a minor injury, I'm talking serious, permanent injury, from an accident.

S.

There is only one single legal way that you do not have to start paying. It is if you only and everytime work directly for a home owner and are paid directly by them. If you are a sub trade to a contractor you must have a clearance certificate. If you are a contractor working soley for home owners in renovations than you can opt out. New home construction must pay.

If you ever need help with any of this, there is a government detachment that is GREAT help. It is called The Office Of the EMPLOYER advisory. I would ask to speak with a the director, named MICHEAL ZACHS, he is a very good man and knows everything you would ever need to deal with WSIB. Weather it is an employee getting hurt, audit , .....anything. They are the people you must talk with to get the ins and outs and are completely confidential. They WORK FOR YOU in this sometimes confusing mess of a system, NOT against you. Again I stress, Talk to these people if you are ever in any situatiojn with WSIB and are the owner of your business.He is very prompt, and will get back to you quickly in my experience. Its A much better phone call then to a lawyer IMO.

Cheers

If you get hurt, you can collect.

Edited by mcdougy

thanks for the info i will keep it close at hand!

There is only one single legal way that you do not have to start paying. It is if you only and everytime work directly for a home owner and are paid directly by them. If you are a sub trade to a contractor you must have a clearance certificate. If you are a contractor working soley for home owners in renovations than you can opt out. New home construction must pay.

If you ever need help with any of this, there is a government detachment that is GREAT help. It is called The Office Of the EMPLOYER advisory. I would ask to speak with a the director, named MICHEAL ZACHS, he is a very good man and knows everything you would ever need to deal with WSIB. Weather it is an employee getting hurt, audit , .....anything. They are the people you must talk with to get the ins and outs and are completely confidential. They WORK FOR YOU in this sometimes confusing mess of a system, NOT against you. Again I stress, Talk to these people if you are ever in any situatiojn with WSIB and are the owner of your business.He is very prompt, and will get back to you quickly in my experience. Its A much better phone call then to a lawyer IMO.

Cheers

If you get hurt, you can collect.

I have my own garage door / opener installation business where i do work for myself and some sub contract work. The WSIB has grouped garage door installation under exterior finishers.. so basically siding. I am forced to pay 10.25 percent on my gross income... you do the math.

This is nothing short of robbing me of earning a living.. I ask them to explain to me ho standing in a garage is the same as on a ladder 20 feet up on the side of a house all day and the only answer i get is " sorry sir but its been legislated into law and you must pay for this insurance" You never get a real answer for any questions you have. This whole WSIB thing is Bull!

Just wait till you get hurt if you think its bad now. I paid 13 cents on every dollar I made for 12 yrs, then was seriously hurt at work, and had to sell my house and half the things I own to keep food on the table.

S.

Just wait till you get hurt if you think its bad now. I paid 13 cents on every dollar I made for 12 yrs, then was seriously hurt at work, and had to sell my house and half the things I own to keep food on the table.

S.

Sinker I don't get it?,if you were paying Insurance premiums what was the reason given you could not collect?Doesn't make sense to me.

Very sorry to hear about your situation.Hope things are better now.

Oh, I collected, but years after the fact. Its a long story. I've since done 3 years of college, have a dual diploma, and a new career.....so in the long term it worked out ok. I went thru hell to get here though. Just don't get seriously hurt!

S.