12 volt shower NF

Bernie

Hi gang.

I did head into work with good intentions yesterday. But it was a quiet day, and next week didn't look like a ball of fire either, so decided to take a few days and get some stuff done at the cottage.

First on the list was something I have been putting off...tearing out the kitchen ceiling and insulating it.
I knew from experience that there would be an accumulation of ..uumm, lets say debris. Ughh.

I was going to hold off until today, but went ahead and pulled it yesterday.
Ya, it wasn't pretty, but managed to get it torn out, insulated and vapor barriered. Noticed a difference already in the comfort.

I cleaned up the best I could before hitting the sack last night, but woke up with the feeling "I need a Shower!"
But my water system is shutdown for the winter.

While I don't often stay out here more than a couple days at a time in the winter, there have been times where I thought a shower would be nice.
Home isn't too far away, but once I'm here, it's good to stay.

So while sipping my coffee this morning I thought about the 12 volt pump I used with the solar panel for watering the garden last summer and using it to power up a shower. Wasn't sure if it would have enough volume.
So I went out to my tool shack, dug out a big box of plumbing fittings and set to work.
In the box was an old shower head too...bonus!
Hooked it up to the hose on my 12 volt pump.

1-6_zps511ff179.jpg

Under the cottage there was a big aluminum pot.
Set it up on the propane burner with several buckets of snow and lit it up.

4_zps8886602a.jpg

Wrapped a dish cloth around the pump to filter out any pine needles and seeds from getting into the pump.

2_zps74a193a9.jpg

Hooked it up to a 12 volt source.

3_zps6abf1fc1.jpg

And it worked great.

th_P1040291_zps27336764.jpg

I taped the shower head to the existing one.
The pot was real heavy to carry, next time I'll heat it closer to the shower stall. icon_e_smile.gif

It worked great, even had plenty of water left over.
It was a little hotter than I would have liked, but wasn't uncomfortable and I wasn't going to hop out and add in more cold at that point.

Start to finish, including the shower took an hour and a half. Not bad for a quick plan. icon_lol.gif

Awesome.

We do something similar at the hunt camp.

We built a sauna (best idea ever). It has a wood stove in it with a big aluminun pot like the one you have on it. Load it with rain water from the barrels and as it heats pump it thru a garden hose to a sprinkler head mounted off the side of the roof and woola, Nothing beats it!

Anyone with a very high mechanical aptitude could have figured that out LOL! (naturally there will be those that say "sure, it's a simple solution".

Good on you Brenie, they say necessity is the mother of invention!

I always love it when I can take bits and pieces of something and turn them into a solution.