35lb lake trout from Temagami

kickingfrog

I dont' care if the guy kept it, just cashing in on an opportunity to jab a Trout Creekian :D (Uncle lives there...he keeps everything too!).

Can't image that thing tasting good unless you stuffed it's massive cavity with 6 pounds of garlic, pepper and salt. The only REALLY nice eating lakers I've seen are from LSPP, like the one in Joey's thread.

Yep.. I deep fry the little guys we get downrigging, that hit the boat DOA after ripping up from 100FOW, and they taste no different than an 'eye. Also good on the BBQ.. cook flesh side first, then flip and burn the skin side 'till it chars and they taste like BBQ chicken.. either that or it's just that " burned taste" I give everything on the grill. I did the first laker I got in the oven as suggested by many... wasn't fit for a dog.

The big guy that this thread is all about... probably long out of the breeding cycle and just out there cruising around eating anything that got in front of it's mouth (including that little laker Terry was reeling up last winter! LOL). Most just snap people off.. so the odd one hitting the wall that size doesn't get me the least bit excited from one of the largest inland fresh water lakes in Canada.

It's not burned Wayne, it's called "aggressively cooked" :)

There are a few lakes to the west and northwest of temagami, where the lakers dont get very big. The flesh has a very pink hue.. As a matter of fact if i recall correctly we used to catch the odd one on the north end of temagami as well. Ive eaten pickeral all my life and i will tell you those small pink lakers beat any pickeral hands down for eating, much meatier and no "trouty" taste. I was told once that the pink meat was due to the fact that in tose smaler lakes they feed primarily on crayfish. Dunno if it true but its possible.

Just dont "aggressively cook"them.

Lake Temagami has both white flesh and orange/pink flesh Lakers. Some seem to like eating fish and others crustaceans. Kokoko's are generally white. Here's one from my favourite back lake.. never stocked that I can find and all the fish that we've managed to pull up (100+ one day, Lloyd and I) are all about 20" long and this colour. We've been told my a biologist that the fish are smart enough to eat to the food level of the lake.

szzp.jpg

There are a few lakes to the west and northwest of temagami, where the lakers dont get very big. The flesh has a very pink hue.. As a matter of fact if i recall correctly we used to catch the odd one on the north end of temagami as well. Ive eaten pickeral all my life and i will tell you those small pink lakers beat any pickeral hands down for eating, much meatier and no "trouty" taste. I was told once that the pink meat was due to the fact that in tose smaler lakes they feed primarily on crayfish. Dunno if it true but its possible.

Just dont "aggressively cook"them.

I have been told the same thing about the pink/orange flesh on the lakers , but it's because they are planktivorous (basicly bug eaters) and not fish eaters like those greasers you get out of Simcoe (white/grey flesh)

In general as well , a planktivorous feeding lake trout population will be much smaller in size (weight) compared to there fish eating cousins and there overall appearance and taste will be noticably better from my experience .

Back to the topic , that is a beauty lake trout and he does have every right to keep it but I can probably say that it would not be making good table fare at that size !

Edited by 4x4bassin

Good to know I kinda know what im talking about.. lol

Back to the topic , that is a beauty lake trout and he does have every right to keep it but I can probably say that it would not be making good table fare at that size !

Double soaked and double smoked!! LOL

also seen that with brook trout, white flesh always filled with minnows and orange flesh usually freshwater shrimp and other shelled thingy's ate a 7-8 lb trout out of chando's few years ago white flesh tasted like a old boot guess it ate herring, same as quinte walters eating shad greasy and pretty much tasteless

Edited by ecmilley