Make er a laker

Acountdeleted

So, I realized that last week, its the middle of the ice fishing season and I hadn't even gotten out to ice fish for Lake Trout yet. I tried to get out a few times last week but everytime I looked like I was heading out 50+ KM winds said 'no no no not today'.

So finally today after long last I get out. I had a few forum regulars mention a few lakes and a few people from work mention a few others for lake trout, but two weeks ago Chris K and I got a tip from a guy who owns a gas station and marina about a spot that was supposed to be really good...... I'm the type of person who overlooks logic and reason for insanity, so I decided to head there.

Set up off of a nice big island with a 40ft dropoff (I hear lake trout like that depth) and started fishing. In the first hour I hooked into about 4 or 5 (or maybe the same fish who was dumb enough to keep hitting my lure) and every time lost em, I got a great fight out of it each time but had yet to actually land my first ever trout. The last time I lost him the line snapped...... guess a 4lb fluro leader probablly wasn't the best idea.

After that, the day went silent for a few hours, I tried a few more places but had no luck. As darkness began to fall I decided to go back to my hot spot and make my last stand of the evening. I switched to something with a trebel hook too, no way was anything getting away.

Finally, I see something rocket off the bottom and whack my lure. As per the advice of Buick14 (who gives me ongoing fishing tips via text message) I let the trout munch on my offering for a minute before setting the hook.

After a great fight I finally landed one.

P1010207_zpsc9551915.jpg

No world records being broken here, or even OFC records but it was my first ever landed trout at a whopping 14 inches.

I'm actually glad no one else was fishing with me because I actually did a little happy dance on the ice.

After that I had a few more hits and lost a few more but after getting tha monkey off my back I was really enjoying laker fishing. I love how they would come up off the bottom and just hammer the line, how a 14 inch fish faught like a 3 pound pike.

I hate to say it, but I might have to go out a few more times for lakers.