Portable HDS7 ! Version 1

Lunker777

A couple weeks ago, I had posted the question about making my HDS7 portable. Thanks again to everyone who replied and helped me out.

I took some time last Friday night to put everything together and see if I could make it work.

So I bought a Aluminum Carry case from Canadian tire for $30... A 12V battery & Charger for $50... and I was ready to go.

th_IMG_3004_zps2de7c71d.jpg

th_IMG_3003_zps428e2bd4.jpg.

th_IMG_3001_zps0c5f496c.jpg

th_IMG_2999_zps0ebb2691.jpg

th_IMG_2998_zps2b4aefcd.jpg

th_IMG_3002_zps6de0a8a2.jpg

I used the spare transducer I had lying around and rigged it up on some extra 1" aluminum angle I had... lying around :) lol

th_IMG_2991_zps8ed4f16a.jpg

th_IMG_2993_zps1085b922.jpg

th_IMG_2994_zps4adda09a.jpg

th_IMG_2997_zps929a6cff.jpg

th_IMG_2995_zpsc6dac705.jpg

th_IMG_2996_zpse0d522c4.jpg

It fits nicely in the rod case for transport.

th_IMG_3006_zps93fdea0f.jpg

th_IMG_3005_zpsbdee2ac9.jpg

So.... I have had it out on the ice and tested it for all of 15 minutes. We moved at that point to some really skinny water ( 3 ft) so I had no use for the Sonar anymore.... which sucked lol

What I did find out from the little time I got to use it.... ITS AWESOME !!!!! lol Its like playing a video game. I never realized what I was missing by not having a sonar/flasher till now.

Like the title says.... its Version 1. It was thrown together with little thought, I just wanted something ready for the next day. I would like to clean up/re-route the power cable and lead wires. Also, I would like to get an ice transducer for the unit. I could potentially pack everything into the little case that way. If not, the ice transducer is a little more user friendly, I don't have to worry about it being level, etc..... stay tuned for V.2 !

Thanks for looking

PS... A bonus about having it set up as a portable... I can bring it inside, or in the tackle room and play with my way points, study maps, etc. Its great !!!

That's a nicer box than I've seen most people use, but you are using a HDS7 though!

You'll have a great time using it!

I agree.... but for the price, I couldn't find another box that was nearly as sturdy/heavy duty for the same price. The "cheaper" tool boxes etc. were either to small, a awkward size, or flimsy as heck !

I was surprised to find such a nice carry case for $30 though.... I'm thinking about getting another one to store my HDS screens in during the summer months to transport them to/from the water.

• 2 weeks later...

That's a professional looking job...nicely done! Can you tell yet how long that battery will keep the 7 going on a full charge?

Well yesterday I ran it pretty well all day ( 9am-5:30pm) and she dropped to about 11.6 V. That was FULLY charged the night before. I was really impressed with the amount of time I got out of the battery. I think it shuts off at 11 volts ? I can't remember. If it were a "from dusk till dawn " type of fishing day. I think it would have died.

Well yesterday I ran it pretty well all day ( 9am-5:30pm) and she dropped to about 11.6 V. That was FULLY charged the night before. I was really impressed with the amount of time I got out of the battery. I think it shuts off at 11 volts ? I can't remember. If it were a "from dusk till dawn " type of fishing day. I think it would have died.

Thanks. That sounds good cause they're powerful units. For very long day of fishing it wouldn't be a big deal to bring an extra 7.5ah.

Thanks. That sounds good cause they're powerful units. For very long day of fishing it wouldn't be a big deal to bring an extra 7.5ah.

I think I will ad one for next year (Version 2.0) so if I forget to charge over night, or if we go on a trip up north and I forget to charge.. there is no worries.

For an extra $20-30 it will be worth it.