Would a small creeks be ok for ice fishing?

hotsky

I haven't been near any water/ice sinse ice fishing the Hamilton harbour last Sunday. Now I'm itching for more! :canadian: I know larger lakes wont be ready for a while and with a forcasted warm up who knows when it'll be safe again. I was wonering tho would a small creek be safe for ice fishing? The spot I want to go to is pretty still, so current is not an issue. Is it worth going there to at least check the ice tomorrow or would it be unsafe for sure?

Edited by Gray_Wolf

Dont know how deep is it but doubt it's 6ft deep, I'd guess 4-5 but could be 6. I'd feel safer if it wasn't lol.

It runs thru farmfields, I remember there was a skim of ice on parts of a month and a half ago when it was only about 0 degrees out. Was surprices to see it starting to freeze up so doubt it gets any warm water inflow.

Edited by Gray_Wolf

Not if the entire waterbody's depth is less than 5 feet. A creek may alleviate pressure with slow flow. Otherwise, water pressure builds as ice builds.. it takes really serious temps to get beyond its mean freeze point. There is a small pond near here that averages 1" all winter long while bigger ponds nearby are 8-10". It took two days of -20 to give it 3 inches. When temps raised to -5, i could throw a rock through it again.

Too bad. It'd be a fun place nearby to catch a bunch of bluegills if nothing else. Lol

Edited by Rich

The thickest ice I have ever measured in the last 6 years on our pond is 9". It does not seem to matter what the weather is like. The springs that feed it are 46 degrees F all year round and I suspect this erodes away at the surface ice from the underside. Larger bodies of water less than 10 minutes away can accumulate almost 24" during the same time period and they are a lot less sheltered.

Pretty much all creeks have some movement to them. I personally would not risk it.

Another member told me he caught pike in there before, even when ice fishing. I was surprised they would be in there since it's a small creek but gets much wider at this one point. I tried it a couple of times in a fall with no sucsess but noticed some angler activity there so I'm taking his word for it. It's pretty close to me so if I can get into some fish there I'd be awesome. I'll test the ice next time I'm out, i it's thin I just wont go on it.

Edited by Gray_Wolf

The problem with ice travel over moving water would be the non uniformity of thickness as well as the *risk* of going through and under. Doesn't need to be quick moving. Slip and fall and who knows. There are so many other places to go for ice, why risk a creek run ? As an fyi, moving water doesn't need to be over the head deep to kill, it could be waist high but if one had a foot entrapment, then the situation could turn fatal very quickly.

Be careful out there.

Main reason I was thinking of going there was assuming it would be the first place to freeze up and be safe since it's the first place I saw ice forming some 6 weeks ago. Glad I posted this I'll take more caution.

Edited by Gray_Wolf

Another member told me he caught pike in there before, even when ice fishing. I was surprised they would be in there since it's a small creek but gets much wider at this one point. I tried it a couple of times in a fall with no sucsess but noticed some angler activity there so I'm taking his word for it. It's pretty close to me so if I can get into some fish there I'd be awesome. I'll test the ice next time I'm out, i it's thin I just wont go on it.

Well sounds like your question was answered before you posted it then..

I never really consider/realized before that small slow creeks may never get safe for ice fishing but rather was wonderiring if it would be ok to go before it warms up again later this week. Unlikely I suppose.

Edited by Gray_Wolf