Mercury Repair

mattyk

I have 5 year old mercury 15hp 4 stroke outboard and i have never had the impeller changed. I am thinking that i should get it changed this year. Is this something that i could do by myself, or do you guys recommend having it done at a marina? How much would something like this cost to replace? Thanks for the input.

Edited by mattyk

Guest skeeter99

is there water coming out of the little pisser on the motor?

is the overheat alarm coming on?

excessive steam out of exhaust?

if it aint dont touch it, dont fix what aint broke!

cause if you crack open the water pump housing (you or the dealer) will probably break the seal and be unuasable and the seal kits these days are worth more than the impeller

my last 90 hp yamaha went 9.5 years until I traded it in with the same impeller never touched the lower unit and never leaked water

I replace mine every year. This little chunk of rubber has the ability to end your summer real fast. The impeller is worth about $40 and most dealers would charge a hour labor. I have never heard of a gear case leaking because someone changed the water pump. If it has happened, it was most likely due to lack of knowledge in dealing with such an issue. If you wait until the pump fails and breaks up inside the engine, you will have to check the cooling passages in the powerhead to ensure there are no restrictions that could cause bigger issues down the road.

I say change it!

Change it. My guy suggested changing every 2 years, 3 max. Any heat at all can warp or disfigure it. Just 'cause there's water coming out, doesn't mean it's full stream.

Peace of mind is a great thing. Ask around in your area, I'm sure someone outside a marina can do it pretty cheap, perhaps a retired Marine Mech. I was lucky enough to find one around here. Hope you can do the same.

Buy the part and if you have basic knowledge of tools and the book for the motor then give a try. If not then a dealer can do it with a warrentee. I would replace all gaskets whenever you open up a seal most are not made to be reused.

Art

Change it, Mercury has pretty weak impellors...

Changed my cousins impellor on his 96 evinrude, and it was still in good condition, his impellor on his 40HP was bigger then my 150HP merc impellor :dunno:

I change it every year..

Good Luck Matt!

Had an impeller go out on me a couple year back while on vacation on Canada Day, well $150.00 later and a lost day of fishing (dealer didn't have the right one and tried to do a make shift) had a friend overnight me the right one and 15 minutes later it was fixed. After that I always carry a spare.

Whopper