Doing a little home plumbing NF

davey buoy

Hope a couple of you guys could let me know if what I have going on is normal.

I have a older set of tub taps,Waltec or Emco,not quite sure.They are the crystal looking set with the splined collar in the handle to fit on the valve spline behind. They also have the pop out centre cap with a blue or red ring showing you hot and cold taps.

Noticed forever that a lot of water comes out the spout while you have a shower. Pulled the centre valve out and the rubber washer at the end was worn a bit. Changed washer ,cut flow out of the spout by half. Is it normal to have a low flow of water coming out of the spout when the centre valve is in shower position?.

My centre valve only turns a 1/4 turn left for tub,or a 1/4 turn right for shower. I do not have a diverter valve on my spout. Do any valves stop the water from coming out the spout when the shower position is in use.

Hope this makes some sense. Thanks for any help.

A diverter valve that is working correctly will divert 99% with possibly a trickle just faster than drops. I can't help with the brand names you said because they are not sold in the US. A faucet of that age though you should be able to replace the stems and seats and restore it back to 95% or better.

Art

you can get a reamer at CTC for a few bucks, well worth the money if you think there is a burr

you can get a reamer at CTC for a few bucks, well worth the money if you think there is a burr

Not really sure Paul?,when I pulled the stem,it looked like a slightly worn washer. Must be the seat?.Any experiance with this Paul?.

Could always go out and grab a spout with a diverter. Otherwise, judging by the description, this things been around for a long time. Replacing the washer is great and all, but theres more than likely a good buildup of minerals in the diverter. If you took it apart already, which sounds like the case, then go and get the reamer or wire brush and clean out the chamber. Quick flush and re-assemble, should be good to go!

Could always go out and grab a spout with a diverter. Otherwise, judging by the description, this things been around for a long time. Replacing the washer is great and all, but theres more than likely a good buildup of minerals in the diverter. If you took it apart already, which sounds like the case, then go and get the reamer or wire brush and clean out the chamber. Quick flush and re-assemble, should be good to go!

Chamber being part of the seat?,or the removeable stem with the washer and holes in it? Thanks for your help

What part?,the stem has new o rings and washer. The seat must need repair?.At this point not even thinking about tearing the wall out.

Did that a couple years ago,not ready for that much fun yet lol.Thanks for the tip.

When you did the reno was the diverter removed?

Depending on the age of the fixtures, you may be able to replace the seat as well. The sky is the limit on how to give advise to repair this. I am still waiting to see photos before i can give guidance.

http://www.lyncar.com/plumbing/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7_59&products_id=450

http://www.lyncar.com/plumbing/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=Waltec+diverter

These are just a couple of examples.

I picked up a new spout with a diverter,but the bypass/leakng water wasn't enough to keep the diverter closed.while the shower was on.