Float rod

RiverGuy

Hello everyone i am just getting started in float fishing. I am wondering if anyone knows were i can buy a shimano clarus or a shimano convergence rod in the brampton ontario area..i got a okuma adventa for x-mas from the wife as a suprise but im taking it back since i have read that they are not very good rods to get started in float fishing...i am on a budget and from what i read shimano seems like a nice rod to start with...would prefer the clarus...Been doing tons of research and i am very excited about getting into float fishing.

Thanks

Thanks Bill i am just nervous about using it because of all the horror stories i read about them breaking and i really dont want to come home and have to tell my wife i broke it the first time out fishing with it.....im going to pratice my butt off before i hit the river with it.

I warmed up the rod for about 20min. And man my arm is hurting LOL and I bent the rod and it bends really nice didn't want to go to far just in case...I like the weight and feel of the rod I am going to keep it and give it shot...can't wait to start practicing casting with it

I warmed up the rod for about 20min. And man my arm is hurting LOL and I bent the rod and it bends really nice didn't want to go to far just in case...I like the weight and feel of the rod I am going to keep it and give it shot...can't wait to start practicing casting with it

Uh...

ah nevermind.

Ok River guy pay attention you are going to learn something.

Find the rod in your collection that hasn't moved or been touched in years.

Now pick up that stick and gently tap the tip on the floor. Pay very close attention to how sensitive it feels.

Now warm it up gently in the beginning and then shake the hell out it.

Now tap the tip on the floor notice it's 100's of times more sensitive.

For steelheading sensitivity is not really that important but a live rod will improve casting, hookset and not snap your prize stick.

Yes yes, warming up a rod.... That's the ticket..... LOL. OP, there is nothing wrong with an okuma or a clarus for that matter. Either will work well! The nice thing about clarus is they are 4 piece. I have been chasing rainbows for over 25 years, and some of the over complications I see guys getting into these days makes me laugh my butt off! These rainbows aren't terribly hard to catch once you have the hang of it! I see fellows running fancy Florescent line, then "shot leaders" and then leaders etc etc, and agonizing over float and hook selection to the point of ridiculousness. The truth is steelhead fishing has become a fashion show! Any of the factory stuff available today easily bests most of the high cost custom stuff from when I started out, and I am still fishing some of that stuff 20 plus years later! I have 2 clarus rods, a 13 and the 11'3" for my son. I have them for the trunk factor, but I wouldn't feel put out by the okuma I can tell you that! Heck even 2 piece streamsides are lovely rods for the $100 outlay! Enjoy your new pole, but don't over complicate the sport. They are beautiful fish but they aren't rocket scientists!

Yes yes, warming up a rod.... That's the ticket..... LOL. OP, there is nothing wrong with an okuma or a clarus for that matter. Either will work well! The nice thing about clarus is they are 4 piece. I have been chasing rainbows for over 25 years, and some of the over complications I see guys getting into these days makes me laugh my butt off! These rainbows aren't terribly hard to catch once you have the hang of it! I see fellows running fancy Florescent line, then "shot leaders" and then leaders etc etc, and agonizing over float and hook selection to the point of ridiculousness. The truth is steelhead fishing has become a fashion show! Any of the factory stuff available today easily bests most of the high cost custom stuff from when I started out, and I am still fishing some of that stuff 20 plus years later! I have 2 clarus rods, a 13 and the 11'3" for my son. I have them for the trunk factor, but I wouldn't feel put out by the okuma I can tell you that! Heck even 2 piece streamsides are lovely rods for the $100 outlay! Enjoy your new pole, but don't over complicate the sport. They are beautiful fish but they aren't rocket scientists!

Bingo.

I fish custom rods because I enjoy building them, but I promise they don't help me hook any fish.

They're only fish, and they aren't nearly as hard to catch as people think.

I'm still blown away by the rod warming up thing...

I have fished rainbows and browns on spinning rods and even bait casting rods...I'm not new to fishing been soon it for years I have been in Canada for about 2 years now...immigrated up to Canada from California. And when I got into fishing up here I noticed tons of people on the river with float rods and it sparked my interest I. Giving it a shot now I am excited to try this new style of fishing and the more I can learn about it the more I want to get on the river

Ok River guy pay attention you are going to learn something.

Find the rod in your collection that hasn't moved or been touched in years.

Now pick up that stick and gently tap the tip on the floor. Pay very close attention to how sensitive it feels.

Now warm it up gently in the beginning and then shake the hell out it.

Now tap the tip on the floor notice it's 100's of times more sensitive.

For steelheading sensitivity is not really that important but a live rod will improve casting, hookset and not snap your prize stick.

So if I'm fishing late season in really cold temps do I have to warm up the rod more often, should I tape hand warmers to it to keep it warm, or put a wool sock over the handle?

What about ice fishing rods? I hope I don't look like a tool whipping them around on the ice to keep them warmed up.....

Burt :whistling:

So if I'm fishing late season in really cold temps do I have to warm up the rod more often, should I tape hand warmers to it to keep it warm, or put a wool sock over the handle?

What about ice fishing rods? I hope I don't look like a tool whipping them around on the ice to keep them warmed up.....

Burt :whistling:

Don't warm up your rod too often though, I hear you'll go blind!