Ice Safety - Do you know what to do????

ccmtcanada

With all the threads of people looking forward to ice fishing, I thought I'd post a reminder to everyone. Do you know what is the safe thickness of ice? For walking...or for a vehicle? Do you know what to do if you fall through the ice and there is no one around that can help? Hopefully this will help...

IceThicknessChart.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Chime in with other safety tips on this thread. What safety equipment do you bring along?

Be safe everyone!

This is a really good source. It covers everything from clothing to the load ratings on lakes vs rivers, how to set up surveillance drilling, safety measures and even when you can/can't park a load on the ice. It is very conservative.

Northwest Territories - field guide to ice construction

"Ice Safety - Do you know what to do???? "

Yup---keep my hide off of Simcoe in Mid-to late March with offshore winds that break off entire icebergs and send them floatin into the big chilly---- where they then need to be rescued by everyone available---up to and including Nasa