What you need to catch..

Rich

First off, i have tens of thousands invested into gear for all species.

But. When a first time ice fisherman is told his first trip, without a vex and a clam hut, he wont catch a dang thing.. he might not ever have a first trip.

Food for thought today.

Ps i catch as many trophy bass in a season from my inflatable as my dad or grandfather ever did in their $65000 bass boats, and many more species they never mastered.

What did they teach me to get me where I am? The basics.

i must've missed that. why not reply on that thread instead then?

and why the post if you've spending tens of thousands of dollars on gear :dunno:

i must've missed that. why not reply on that thread instead then?

and why the post if you've spending tens of thousands of dollars on gear :dunno:

Sometimes it's good to go back to basics is all i intended with the post. The only person I could see being offended by this is a self admitted armchair expert. We all start somewhere.

First off, i have tens of thousands invested into gear for all species.

It's pretty ironic you make a thread about 'getting back to basics' then tell us you've got tens of thousands of dollars wrapped up into gear.. I don't even have close to that amount tied up, including the boat! LOL!

Getting back to basics saved my day of steelheading yesterday. It brought this up.

My 3 boats together value into $10,000 range. I rent a 3 bedroom apartment.. 2 bedrooms are "fishing rooms" . Lol rods, gear everywhere. More of a weakness than a necessity. I cant go through a fishing aisle without dropping two hundred bucks. Lol much of it is unopened and will likely be donated to future fishathons.

I prefer fishing with a buddy...no question about it, but I still enjoy fishing alone.

Also, for any species, if I had nothing but 3/8 jig heads and 3" mr twisters I wouldn't complain too much.

Can't remember which magaine/website but a writer/fishing pro went an entire year (hard and soft water) using only a jig and white grub and documented the results- will see if I can find it and post -was a great read

I agree with Rich.

For walleye fishing, I have all kinds of expensive crank baits that work well but the cheaper lures always outperform 8-15$ lures. Very cheap jigs with inexpensive plastics often yield 20+ walleyes in a few hours of fishing.

IMG_9382.jpg

For brook trout fishing, I have all kinds of expensive crank baits, spinners, spoons, worm harnesses... This year, I caught 6 brookies over 3 pounds (including a 6 pounder) using a 3 dollar flashing spoon and a worm.

IMG_8862.jpg

This year, I successfully pared my tackle down to a small, 3 compartment flambeau shoulder pack. I have everything in it that I could possibly need to effectively fish for the 10 + local species of fish that I actively target throughout the year. Truly makes you realize how much you can do without and not affect your outcomes.

95% of my fishing is by myself, much needed time to relax

And by gosh, it's fun to fish alone, or your name isn't funfishing!

I love fishing. I prefer to be with someone else, but I can't seem to find anyone around here that fishes as much as I do (or did..). But I still have lots of fun when I'm alone. And my wife does count because she steers the Sportspal where I want it, freeing me up to focus on casting and retrieving.

Oh yeah, the other thing you need when you go fishing is a FISHING BUDDY.

It's no fun by yourself. And a Fishing Buddy is not your girlfriend or wife. They are nice and all, but they just don't understand the fishing disease.

Sleepy

You might want to ask Joey and Juli about that!!! Think they have the "fishing disease" as much as any of us guys!!