leaky boat...... HELP!

picporch

hello I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this question. I have a leaky aluminum boat but i just cant seem to patch it every year I do and the nest year it leaks again. Is there a spray or something that i could paint brush on that would seal this sinking boat so that I may fish with out water around my ankles? Any and all idea would be welcomed and thanks in advance

Dan

I took a 12' tinny that leaked a good three inches a day to a bone dry boat in approximately an hour.... with my daughter holding the bucking bar on the inside and me running the gun. Small bit of Sikaflex and the 20+ year old Reynolds floats like new (or better).

If yours is leaking that much you've got a slew of loose rivets or more likely a crack somewhere. Either case a quick fix... for me anyhow since I gots the tools.

BTW what have your been "patching" it with?

Edited by irishfield

You are just wasting your time and money with goop or sealer without prepping. Cracks need alum riveted over them after stop drilling the cracks. Loose leaking rivets can easily be reset and if you don't have the tools even a couple 2 lb hammers will do the trick. Buddy holds one tight to the rivet on the inside and you wack the outside. Just be DAMN sure you are on the same rivet.

I've just finished going over a few of the riveted seams in my aluminum canoe with a tube of plastic aluminum from Canadian Tire (5 bucks), some kind of roofing tar that came free with the house and finished it all off with a fresh coat of leftover ceiling paint. I'm obviously a firm believer in the theory that if a job is worth doing; it's worth doing right. :rolleyes:

P.S. See you at the bottom.

I've just finished going over a few of the riveted seams in my aluminum canoe with a tube of plastic aluminum from Canadian Tire (5 bucks), some kind of roofing tar that came free with the house and finished it all off with a fresh coat of leftover ceiling paint. I'm obviously a firm believer in the theory that if a job is worth doing; it's worth doing right. :rolleyes:

P.S. See you at the bottom.

LOL Thats awsome.

Ceiling paint is chemically formulated to be most efficient at higher elevations like say 8'5" or so.

Yeah and who wants paint that is pink when it's wet......except perhaps for TJQ.