Suspending trout in deep river pools?

misfish

Do trout suspend in pools if the water is dirty? Or is the water clearer lower in pools?

Always learning

Some fish suspend all the time, that's why I hate when people say "if you aren't hitting bottom sometimes you aren't on the fish".

When I step into a new hole I always start my rig 3-4 feet ABOVE where I think the bottom is, and move down from there until I find the sweet spot.

That said, there are some places where I will purposely run a very short lead (2 feet?) in deeper water (5-6-7ft) because I know the fish suspend there.

Sure some fish will suspend sometimes, some-places but what is more likely it that aggressive fish will move up to take your offering.

What ever current is in the pool is almost always slower at the bottom of the river because of drag.

Same as eddies, fish will hang in the slack current. Aggressive fish will move out far into the current to hit while a neutral fish may not even give it a look even if it hangs right in their face.

Some fish suspend all the time, that's why I hate when people say "if you aren't hitting bottom sometimes you aren't on the fish".

When I step into a new hole I always start my rig 3-4 feet ABOVE where I think the bottom is, and move down from there until I find the sweet spot.

That said, there are some places where I will purposely run a very short lead (2 feet?) in deeper water (5-6-7ft) because I know the fish suspend there.

I adjust my lead a lot Kemp. I start off as well, short lead,til I tick the bottom. The worst part is,when I over adjust,I get that dreaded snag,and have to re tie.LOL

I try to fish the tail outs more, when the water is dirty. There I find my most success.I also find if I fish the side of the fast flow,it works to,but need to find that sweet spot.Sometimes it takes many drifts to get the strike.

Edited by Misfish

I adjust my lead a lot Kemp. I start off as well, short lead,til I tick the bottom. The worst part is,when I over adjust,I get that dreaded snag,and have to re tie.LOL

I try to fish the tail outs more, when the water is dirty. There I find my most success.I also find if I fish the side of the fast flow,it works to,but need to find that sweet spot.Sometimes it takes many drifts to get the strike.

Sometimes the fish are in the tailouts, sometimes they are in the head of the runs, sometimes they are in the **** water inbetween, lol! Especially in that river... It's always changing..

Some baits I run really shallow (Beads) others I like the crash the bottom with.. But not too much... lots and lots of wood!

Do trout suspend in pools if the water is dirty?

I try to fish the tail outs more, when the water is dirty. There I find my most success.

Generally if the water is dirty that means it's high as well. Earlier in the fall when water temps are warmer these flood conditions will prompt fish to move, they're generally on the prod. They can literally be anywhere as the dirty water allows them to feel safe.

Later in the fall when temps drop...like right now, under flood conditions most fish will bunker down and won't move 'till the waters start to drop and clear. They'll generally hole up in slack water areas where they have to expend less energy. Slow back eddies, large current breaks behind logs or boulders and long slow pools. You generally won't find fish in quicker water.

Steelhead are synonymous with tailouts, you can't ever go wrong fishing one. However not every tailout is created equal. This time of year when the water temps are colder look for the longest, slowest pools with long drawn out slow moving tailouts. 3-4' seems to be a magic depth. When the water gets really cold sometimes they won't hold in the tailouts at all, they'll stack up right in the gut of the pool. Today I fished for a couple of hours before work and every single fish I hit was in the heart of the deepest troughs. I fished some real nice riffle water and a couple of tailouts and caught nothing.

Generally I start 2x vis. So if vis. is 1 ft I start at 2ft.

The virgin water is just below the white water where the drop off is. You need to practice this cast. So your float lands in the thin water above the drop off and your roe bag/bead/fly lands just at the drop off. Your bait will drop thru the white water as your float catches up.

This gives you virgin water.

Some great info fellas. Thanks.

Lots of holes, with different characteristics for me to try these methods on this river.

Frankie,I did get one fish like that. It was a spot were I would normally stand,thats how high it,s been.

Thanks again,and Mike,great insight.

Ya Bill,,,,,,,WOOD and lots of it. :wallbash:

Thanks for this great thread it helped me land into my first bow on the pin this eve!

Awesome

They'll generally hole up in slack water areas where they have to expend less energy. Slow back eddies,

I took this advise and hit into my biggest fish. Saddly, I lost it. :wallbash: