Summer project

verno

My buddy and I have co-owned a boat for several years, and out of convenience we left it at his cottage. They had a better boat up there so ours was neglected. Well they sold the cottage so now our boat is in my drive and we will spend the summer cleaning it up. It's gonna need new carpet and seats and a good powerwashing. The trailer got new tires and lights for the trip down, but the trailer will have to be stripped and painted at the very least. Here's the before pics. I may be asking some questions along the way.

100_0255.jpg

100_0256.jpg

The motor is the biggest concern, we took the cap off and it looks like no water got in there but there were a couple cobwebs.

Geez guys...it's just mold ! Lotsa soap...elbow work and she'll look like new. Power blast that lower unit...a coat of paint... and worst case if she dies on you, those nice old seats pull out into beds.

Good luck with it Verno. Put a bit of pride into it and a nice set of rod/rigger mount tracks and you'll be good to go. Hopefully the motor was fogged when put away..but doubt that would even matter considering the years of varnish imbedded in the cylinder walls to protect it.

Looks like a fun project. Just watch the wallet and don't spend any cash on items that are not needed.

What condition is the hull in? You mentioned the floor, carpet and seats. But as you probably know the hull is the most important. Those old glass boats can be pretty rotted. The fold out seats can be replaced. There are many internet sites that sell them.

As for the motor. Get it running before spending time prettying it up.

Good luck. I hope to see a photo journal of it soon. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the input guys, I'm hoping you guys are right and the old Johnson will fire right up.

Smokey I havent had a chance to get out for Turkey yet, I'm hoping my next set of days of.

Vance, thanks for the links I have saved them, I think they will come in real handy.

Pikehunter, the hull looks pretty sound so far, the transom we have gone over very well and there are no soft spots. Havent been underneath yet.

Caper, I may just have to take you up on that offer.

Keram, I got the garage cleaned out just the week before, any earlier and the wife would have had it full of junk before the boat got here. A side note on that, I never told her the boat was coming till the day before. It really is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission. :thumbsup_anim: