Lake Trout From Shore?

Rich

Do lakers do a migratory run with the steelies and browns? Anyone wish to devulge thru PM where one would go about trying to catch one? I never have, and would love to do so one of the days of my holiday next week. Thanks for any info!

I'd be curious too as to where you could catch them from shore (after they open again, of course). I was thinking some of the Piers in the winter.

If you want them in the winter, through the ice on Simcoe would be your best bet.

In the 1800s many of the Great Lakes tribs had large runs of lake trout, particularly in Superior. Problem is that they were fished out. All the big spawners would show up in the fall and get netted. They would start in the north and follow the runs south. Only one river still has a run which was rescued from over fishing and sea lamprey by stocking them in nearby lakes and then reintroducing them into the river years later. These same fish were stocked for a few years in Lake Ontario. As mentioned above they like running up rivers e.g., the Ganny. The Niagara has strong runs of lakers. Many other rivers see the odd laker in the fall. Whether they are spawning or feeding on eggs is debatable. In the far north they can be found in rivers in the middle of summer.