Bait For Perch?

Photoz

Last year I was fishing in Simcoe, and the scoop of minnows (shiners) Harry gave me were way y y y to many. The 2 dozen or more I had left I just dumped in the long grass near shore. When I went back the next day (it was quite chilly) there were my dead minnows. I chopped a few in half . .. . they were taken just as enthusiastically as the day before when they were live. Ding, on goes the lightbulb? I've cleaned lotsa perch with the remains of smelts in their gullet, they take dead shiners . . . . I figure live smelts would likely be good bait for perch, which I believe would not be legal? But . . . . if I went to my local grocery store and bought FROZEN ones, and kept the receipt . . . . would this be legal? Anybody else ever try frozen smelts? Did you catch whatever fish tou were targeting?

I DID mention the smelts I would be using would be store-bought, and the question was "Would they be legal to use . . . . thank you?

Sure it's legal... But you've probably be better off fishing with emeralds then 4-6in smelts for 13in perch. I guess you could always take those un-used smelt you'll have at the end of the day and fry them up at home! So it's a win/win in your case :)