Manual inflating life vests

Nipfisher

Now, I understand that life jackets are made to be worn when in a boat and that they work best when you are wearing them but I generally have mine hanging on my seat.

I recently purchased a couple of Stearns Model 139 manually inflating life vests (have to pull handle to inflate) and a buddy told me that they HAVE to be worn according to legislation. Anyone know if this is law?

Manual or auto inflate do not count as a flotation device if not worn. Always a good idea to have a traditional pfd for every body onboard.

So with those.... If you fall and hit your head on the way over... Your a dead man...

Possibly, but many don't where anything at all.

So with those.... If you fall and hit your head on the way over... Your a dead man...

There's a good chance you'll be dead if a piano drops on you out of the sky too but increasing the likelihood of wearing a PFD of any kind is a good thing.

I bought one of those too and sadly, I don't wear it all the time.

The fact is, a PFD stored in a compartment in your boat is about as useful as forgetting it at home, yet you're legal!

I know better but I'm guilty of that too.

Get an auto inflator and wear it. I bought one this year and wore it every day. Even in the dead heat of summer I never found it uncomfortable.

I also got an auto-inflator this year (Mustang # 3153) and was very impressed with it. I don't always wear it when someone else is in the boat with me, but when I'm alone it never comes off.

Those of you considering an auto-inflate model, do yourself a favour and buy a re-arm kit at the same time. If you are away for a weekend or a longer holiday and you happen to get dunked, you'll be stuck without a legal PFD unless you carry extra regular PFDs in one of the hatches. It'll cost you $25-$30 for a re-arm kit but there's really no expiry date on them so you'll be good to go.

Those of you considering an auto-inflate model, do yourself a favour and buy a re-arm kit at the same time. If you are away for a weekend or a longer holiday and you happen to get dunked, you'll be stuck without a legal PFD unless you carry extra regular PFDs in one of the hatches. It'll cost you $25-$30 for a re-arm kit but there's really no expiry date on them so you'll be good to go.

You could leave it inflated and continue to use it legally for the rest of the trip. The manual ones I bought have the deflation/inflation tube as well.

That is correct.

It is not considered a flotation device until it's inflated.

I have heard this over and over again but nowhere can I find in any regulations where it states this.....any ideas? Not saying it's not a good idea to wear it but just like to know the truth as opposed to hearsay....

I have heard this over and over again but nowhere can I find in any regulations where it states this.....any ideas? Not saying it's not a good idea to wear it but just like to know the truth as opposed to hearsay....

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-equipment-lifejackets-few_words-1179.htm#lj05

Inflatable PFDs

Inflatable PFDs are special devices in that the flotation of the wearer is not derived from inherently buoyant materials. In order for them to do their job, you, the wearer, must do yours! This means you have the responsibility to ensure you are familiar with the operation and maintenance requirements of your inflatable PFD!

You must also be familiar with its limitations and know which boating activities they are approved for under the Small Vessel Regulations.

Conditions of approval for inflatable PFDs under the Small Vessel Regulations:

They must be worn by an adult (at least 16 years of age and weighing 36.3 kg or more), in the case of an open boat or on deck/cockpit in any other type of boat, or readily available to any other adult occupant while below deck.

They are NOT approved for white water paddling or personal watercraft use.

They must be fitted with an unpunctured, and fully functional inflation cartridge, or be worn fully inflated.

They must be fitted with compatible inflation mechanism parts (refer to owner's manual). The fitting of any other part could result in the device failing to inflate or inflating improperly.

Great link Slowpoke. I have never read that section before. Thanks.

x2, Thanks Slowpoke...the actual Regulation is Paragraph 10 in the Small Vessel Reg's and it's very clear....don't know why I couldn't find it before but maybe I was reading the old regs.

Yep, definatly part of the all the regs. it even says so on the label of mine. For me as a backup I keep a normal one in the boat. I don't wear an autoinflator for legal reasons, I wear it for safety and peace of mind. If you ar unconsious when you hit the water the auto inflators will put your face out of the water and keep you alive. Most lifejackets won't do the same, especially if its legally in your storage compartment.

Good idea on the re-arm kit. I bought an extra one just in case they get hard to find.

Yep, definatly part of the all the regs. it even says so on the label of mine. For me as a backup I keep a normal one in the boat. I don't wear an autoinflator for legal reasons, I wear it for safety and peace of mind. If you ar unconsious when you hit the water the auto inflators will put your face out of the water and keep you alive. Most lifejackets won't do the same, especially if its legally in your storage compartment.

Good idea on the re-arm kit. I bought an extra one just in case they get hard to find.

Good point about the inflating ones being life-vests, except the belt ones, most of us have pfds on board. And while I wear my paddling style pfd most of the time I'm in a boat I'm thinking this year I should get an inflatable one.

Technically a lifejacket is designed to turn an unconscious person face up, a pfd won't.

Edited by kickingfrog

There's a good chance you'll be dead if a piano drops on you out of the sky too but increasing the likelihood of wearing a PFD of any kind is a good thing.

I bought one of those too and sadly, I don't wear it all the time.

The fact is, a PFD stored in a compartment in your boat is about as useful as forgetting it at home, yet you're legal!

I know better but I'm guilty of that too.

This spring walleye opener the opp were charging people with not having there life jackets readily available,If they were outof sight you were charged.

This spring walleye opener the opp were charging people with not having there life jackets readily available,If they were outof sight you were charged.

Yes this is correct. You're not legal if they are not readily available. Compartments dont count.

Edited by Dutch

You're not legal if they are not readily available. Compartments dont count.

Irishfield and I were fishing the West Arm of Nipissing a couple years back when the OPP came by to check my boat. He couldn't see the jackets and said they had to be accessible so I opened the hatch under my feet on the front deck and showed them to him. He then told us that they prefer to at least see them hanging over the seat backs if we weren't going to wear them

He never said being in the compartment was illegal, but "highly suggested" it would be a good idea to hang them on the seatbacks....which we did.

He never said being in the compartment was illegal, but "highly suggested" it would be a good idea to hang them on the seatbacks....which we did.

Anything I've read regarding lifejackets or vest style (non-inflating) PFD's state "One (1) lifejacket or PFD for each person on board"

In another paragragh it states...

Treat your lifejacket like an investment and take good care of it! Lifejackets that are ripped or in poor condition are not considered approved. Follow these tips to keep yours in good condition:

Check its buoyancy regularly in a pool or by wading out to waist-deep water and bending your knees to see how well you float.

Make sure that straps, buckles and zippers are clean and work well.

Tug on straps to make sure they are well attached and there is no sign of wear.

Dry the lifejacket in open air and avoid direct heat sources.

Store it in a dry, well-ventilated place where it is easy to reach.

Do not dry clean. Use mild soap and running water to clean.

Never sit or kneel on your lifejacket or use it as a fender for your boat.

(NOTE: this is from the "Safe Boating Guide" and not chapter and verse from any official regulation)

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp-tp511-equipment-1140.htm#personal_lifesaving_appliances

Accessibility is probably a gray area for marine unit inspectors. In other words; even if you're within your right to store them in a compartment, you may have to spend a day in court to find that out. It's probably good advice and obviously much safer to hang them over your seat back if you're not going to be wearing them. I should make that a habit for 2013.

Accessibility is probably a gray area for marine unit inspectors. In other words; even if you're within your right to store them in a compartment, you may have to spend a day in court to find that out.

My thoughts exactly Brian, and the reason we complied with his suggestion, but of course he WAS right and a jacket in a compartment really isn't a good idea if you need it in a hurry.....legal or not.

Trouble is, we all get complacent over the years and I spose it's the old "it'll never happen to me" type of thing.

The one I have does have an expiry date Roy, has that changed recently or maybe it's just the model I wear? I've got an Mustang auto inflate that's about 4 years old and the re-arm device has an expiry date for next year on it.