fishing Quinte gear question

cja

Morning

I will be heading out for the first time for big eyes in the Picton area in a couple of weeks, and was hoping for some help in buying a new trolling rod and reel for the trip. i usually jig for them but i am going to try trolling. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Edited by cja

For trolling you need:

-line counter reel for two main purposes... to get your bait runing at the depth you wish and to make success repeatable.

-8 ft rods in med to med heavy action, so you won't break your rod, which is under constant pressure/load from the board and lure, when you get a fish

-rod holders... no one wants to how a rod with that much torque, by hand all day

-an assorment of deep diving cranks that will entice Mr./Mrs. Pickereye to grab your lure.

-line used is a personal decision... some like no stretch, some like me prefer mono as it is more elastic then no stretch and I feel (IMHO)it helps to keep the bait in the fishes mouth, vs ripping the lure out of it's mouth.

-lead core it your're into it!

-dipsey's can also be used

-some folks like to use riggers... not something I would recommend

-don't require a leader, a good quality snap will work just dandy

And the number on piece of kit I suggest you bring if fishing Quinte in the fall is COMMON SENSE!

It can be one of the nastiest bodies of water to be on when the weather/wind is given'er... there is a strong current throughout the entire Bay, combine that with Oct/Nov/Dec winds and water temp and it is a recipe for disaster it you are not very careful...I have spent many a day, staring out at the water as the wind has the Bay in a fury.

One last thought... if you plan on fishing on a weekend and the weather/winds are going to be weak, bring a blow horn, cause the place is going to be a zoo!

Hope that helps?

HH

Edited by Headhunter

Reels -

Diawa Sealines SG47LCA if you can find them. Being replaced with the SG47LC3B. This is the largest of the reels in that line. You may have up to 400ft of line or more out depending on the conditions. Some use the smaller sized reels. Personally I use the Okuma 30D's and have not had a problem with them with the walleye or salmon and had them for 7 or 8 years now. Either the 30D's or 47's will set you back around a $100ish You can spend more and get a Okuma Catalina or Clarion, Shimano Tekotas are pretty sweet as well or the Diawa Saltist. These are in the $150 to $200+ range.

Rods - I just use the Shimano TDR's and at $40 they are pretty hard to beat. I did grab a Rapala Trolling rod for $40 as well this year and like it as well. Comes down to what you want to spend as you can certainly go up from there. You want a medium to medium heavy in these rods as stated above.

In-line Boards - I use Offshores and have been very happy with them. I did upgrade the release to the OR-18 adjustable tension release and have no issues with them. Others will tell you to get the Church Tackle boards, I haven't used them so I can not speak for them.

Line - I running everything - braid, mono, and leadcore. Joe does bring up a valid point on the mono being a bit more forgiving and keeping the bait in the fishes mouth. Lighter drag setting and softer rod will help when using the braid.

Rod holders - Whatever works but something that will lock the rod in place. I've been using Scotty's without any problems. They replace a Rapala holder that the rod rested in after the first time I used them. Almost lost the rods any many times that day Joe? Can't go wrong with Salty's if you can clamp them on the gunnel or want to spend the money for the mounts.

Good luck and don't forget the report.

Edit - Another reel to look at is the new Okuma Coldwater series.

Okuma Cold Water Linecounter Reels

Edited by fishnsled

HH and FishnSled pretty much nailed it on the head there.

I also run the Shimano TDR rods (9'0 MED), and run two Rapala Line Counters and two Shimano Tekota 300LC's with them.

If you're going to troll on Quinte I HIGHLY RECOMMEND USING PLANER BOARDS to spread your baits out and away from the boat. Offshore Tackle planer boards are superior (IMO).

Edited by Stoty

A glass, bottle and mix.... :whistling: for the overnight.

As for fishing. Any "bait casting" reel will work. Pull the line off the one you have and measure how many feet it takes to complete one spool width. Then it's just a matter of counting wraps x length for distance out... just like Muskie fishing.

As for fishing. Any "bait casting" reel will work. Pull the line off the one you have and measure how many feet it takes to complete one spool width. Then it's just a matter of counting wraps x length for distance out... just like Muskie fishing.

Might work if your running baits close to the boat Wayne, but who wants to count wraps all day when your running baits a couple 100' behind the boat, and specially if your using 2 rods and having them at different distances back ??

There's a good reason folks use line counters. :lol:

Point was.. if he's heading out for the first time on the BOQ for 'eyes.. there's no need to go out and buy new equipment to see if he likes trolling for wet socks. There's no real issue counting 10 or 12 wraps letting the line out for 9 to 11 feet per wrap. We did it down there for the first couple of years. More accurate than most counters anyhow... I realized fairly quickly when down rigging for lakers, at 100 feet or so, that none of the line counters are accurate.. no where near accurate as matter of fact with almost 60%PLUS errors with 100 feet reading 160' or more at times.

Edited by irishfield

Outer rods - 8.5' Taloras 10-20lb. Inner rods - 8.5' Clarus 8-17lb Steelhead Casting rods. Why... better fight on the Clarus but not if it's a Sheepie on the outside. lol. Other Taloras for rigger, dipsy and core too.

Reels - Diawa Sealine or Accudepths & Cabela's Depthmaster in the 17 or 27 series. NEVER an issue not having enough line spooled up. Reels haven't failed me yet, and decently priced. Look for sales with LeBaron's for the Diawa's and Cabelas for the DMaster.

Line - 40lb PowerPro to 40 foot 12lb floro leader. P-Line snaps. Whatever 14-17lb for backing. No troubles with rippin' lips... occassionally fish come off regardless.

Boards - Offshores. On outside boards the back clip is replaced with a big snap swivel. (trust this tip) Like those orange planer boards too though...

Lures - Reef Runners, Yozuris, Rapalas and NK spoons.

Book - Precision Trolling.

Really, it's all personal preference. Tonnes of different options to get the same results.

I realized fairly quickly when down rigging for lakers, at 100 feet or so, that none of the line counters are accurate.. no where near accurate as matter of fact with almost 60%PLUS errors with 100 feet reading 160' or more at times.

If your reel counters are off that much Wayne, I'd say you've got some serious issues with them and perhaps they need fixing.

I keep track of the accuracy of my Tekota 6oo reels and their consistantly only out about 7-8% of a measured distance. With 200' measured out on the ground, the reel counter shows around 212' and I'd consider that pretty good.

I've done what Wayne suggests, counting the sweeps of the line guide as you are letting out. And I agree, if you are not up to investing in equipment as you don't plan to use this type of set up more than once or twice a year, counting sweeps is a reasonable alternative.

The main draw back though, is repeatability, especially in less than ideal conditions. Also, one can easily learn how to set up multiple lines, using line counters and have all you lines working their way out at the same time... that becomes a bigger challenge when counting sweeps.

No one is wrong here by they way... accuracy of the counter is not really that important as long as it is consistant... which makes success repeatable or lack of success a starting point to avoid.

It is easier to say, "I got that one 150 back, 150 out from the boat, then it is to say "15 sweeps behind the board and 15 sweeps out from the boat.

Or, it's even easier to hire Lloyd and have a nap until your turn comes up! LOL

HH

Point was.. if he's heading out for the first time on the BOQ for 'eyes.. there's no need to go out and buy new equipment to see if he likes trolling for wet socks.

Good point Wayne, thats why I would sooner catch a Sheephead. :D But I do have counter reels loaded with braid and 10 Ft. of Flor leader when using the in-lines. At least you can feel an odd movement when dragging in the wet sock (Boot) :D . I get more action wenching my boat onto the trailer. I keep asking myself why I even drag (wench) for Walleye's down there. Got to be for the good company camaraderie and an odd refreshment :thumbsup_anim:

I'm heading down there Monday for 3 days, I hear the Socks are on sale :D

Edited by Fish Farmer