Whats the Deal on WHITE Perch?

Luke V.

Was out on Lake O on the weekend. Fishing for bass, we came off a drop off noticed a large ball of bait fish, marked big fish underneath. So down went the jigging spoons and up came white perch. I have never caught one before. Just curious if they are common in lake O and if they taste the same as a yellow perch. They were decent size 10-12 inches.

a pic just bcuz

mailgooglecom.jpg

Thanks for looking

Just curious if they are common in lake O and if they taste the same as a yellow perch. They were decent size 10-12 inches.

a pic just bcuz

mailgooglecom.jpg

Thanks for looking

I am not sure what they taste like but I believe they are actually more closely related to bass and sunfish than they are to yellow perch.

White perch are very common in Lake Ontario. They belong to the same family of fish as white bass and striped bass (they have no relationship with smallmouth/largemouth, sunfish, or yellow perch whatsoever). Average size is 10 - 12 inches. They usually travel in large schools, so when you find one, you've found a bunch. They're pretty good eating fish but, as others have said, I would be cautious about eating much from Lake O.