Spiel's Custom Rods

MJL

Are you a rod builder who happens to be allergic to 2 part epoxy? I sure am :(. The last 4yrs, my rod building has been limited to tying on guides and finishing them off with various clear coats like varnish (10-14 coats), 1 part rod finishes (eg. U40 Duragloss – 8-12 coats) and clear coat adhesives (eg. Diamondite II which I currently use for my own rod building projects -3 coats). With that said, I needed a handle built for a rod I plan to take with me on a trip due in a couple weeks.

I exchanged PMs with Chris to see what he could do and what components he had access to. Time was limited for the both of us. Chris was busy with many other builds, and I was stuck with jury duty for a month with no real end date. Chris finished the butt section while I finished the mid and tip sections.

The low-down

- 13’ Rainshadow XST 3-piece

- Reel seat & butt cap courtesy of John Collina

- ALPS guides? (size 20 to down to 8)

- Cork supplied by both Chris and me (I gave Chris whatever cork I had)

Guide wraps in plain black

IMG_2267.jpg

Ferrules in black with 3 turns of metallic blue (Thanks Chris for hooking me up with the thread)

IMG_2268.jpg

Done

IMG_2302c.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

This is no Abercrombie & Fitch model. The rod doesn’t even have a logo on it - It was meant to be that way. It was purpose built to handle the strain of bigger steelhead that average 10-13lbs (with 20-30lbs definitely possible) as well as bull trout that often get to double-digit sized proportions. I’m not sure if I’ll use the rod at my usual haunts when I get back (Perhaps Niagara?) – It’s quite a powerful stick!

I’m extremely satisfied with Chris’s work and can vouch for the quality and attention to detail - It definitely gets Mikey's seal of approval :D

Thanks again Chris

I recently became acquainted with a well know local rod builder, when i needed a tip top guide replaced on an old Compre Musky rod.I talked to him for hours and he showed me some of his work. He did a smashing job on the tip top, and as he was showing me the rods he had made, i couldn't help but mentally compare his work with some of the work i have seen by Chris. This guy is a rod builder, plain and simple, but Chris is an Artist.He does a really nice job, but it pales beside the Spiel creations i have seen.

Good on you Chris.

Nice stick bud!

You will enjoy it, I built myself a "no-frills" model on that blank as well and I almost always reach for it first.

My only advice is oversize everything, that thing eats leads and hooks for breakfast. It's more power than I usually need, but it sure is nice to have when a big bow is bustin' your balls down the St. Mary's or Niagara!

Sweet stick! So where are you going, you havn't spilled the beans yet?

Naming of fishing locations is strictly forbidden on this forum :whistling:

On that note, I'll be flying into John Milner's neighbourhood and hooking up with a few friends - Maybe picking up a reel if I like what I see. After, I'll be touring around for a couple weeks before coming home.

Sweet stick Mike. Look forward to seeing when your up this way.

What reel is that?

Brian, the reel is a 4.5" Angling Specialties w/ off-set reel foot (Regular drag model).

I actually was in your neck of the woods a couple weeks ago...But according to your "Recent OFC status" update, you were at work.LOL

looks amazing.

what blank is that built on?

The blank is a 13ft 3pc Rainshadow XST (6-10lb).

Cheers

Mike