Thanksgiving in Algonquin

nkuchmak

I love algonquin... Such a beautiful place... Which lake did you go to?

Some ppl get defensive when asked but, which lures were you using? Cant make out exactly what kind of lure that is in the fishes mouth

He's not going to tell you which lake he went to, lol.

Fall splake fishing has become one of my favourite angling seasons: great fishing, quiet lakes, and no bugs. My experience echos yours: they behave more like brookies than lakers. We were yakfishing for splake last fall, casting jointed raps into logs along the bank. There was another canoe on the lake and I overheard one of the guys saying "What's he think he's doing? Bass fishing?" They flatline trolled for about 3 hours without a fish. I think I had 7 in that time.

That last fish is a beauty.

thanks for the comments guys.

Unfortunately gone are the days when fishing spots can be shared online without negative reprecussions. Algonquin is a massive place but splake are only stocked in selected lakes and stocking information exits out there. Im sure you can find some good spots without putting in the tears and sweat it takes to find something like say....the brookie hot spots.

As far as lures go. We took a lot on the slash bait style raps, small spoons and worm harnesses/spinners. Most of the fish were tight to structure although a few were taken trolling off drop offs in about 20 feet of water.

Glad you enjoyed the photos!