Should I of killed it or kept ripping it?

Harrison

Was up in the Archipelago area around Parry Sound this weekend for Thanksgiving.

Loaded up the tinny in the back of a truck a dropped it in a back lake that is supposed to be good for Musky. I am an experienced angler, but will not pretend I know alot about musky fish'n.

Weather started out great at first light as the picture below shows but quickly turned ugly and pushed us off the water.

My question - I did raise one giant beast of a muskie who rose behind my bait like a submarine. Water was cold, no exact temp but it hit below 0 over night.

I was using a handlebarz inline spinner and I killed it when I saw the fish. I am thinking now that may of been a mistake. With the other species I target that usually gets them to eat.... this fish lost interest quick.

I remember hearing/reading/or being yelled at by an experienced musky guy - that you should continue with the retrieve if you have a follow and not Kill it as I did.

Are there any opinions on this?

Beauty day to start with.

dock.jpg?t=1349785362

I do the figure 8 routine each cast - whether I see a fish following or not. Thought is that there could be a fish following or close by, but not yet visible. When I do have a fish following, I keep the lure moving even for a bit after the fish seems to have moved on.

One of mine from this September was caught right at boatside during the '8'. Saw her coming in and left the lure in the water and kept it moving. She nailed it during one of the turns - so the quick change in direction could have triggered the strike.

The 49" Patsy caught last year was a fish that followed my lure in. Went past once and was out of site, but I kept the '8' going and she came back. Went past my bait not once, but three times before she headed to the back of the boat - right where Patsy was finishing reeling in a cast and WHAM.

Ya just never know.

Yea, definately don't stop. Speed it up, a quick change of direction, do something to make it appear that your bait is attempting to flee.

Figure eight till your back can't take it no more. We had a fish do the 8 for a good 2 minutes before it ate once.

Oh I figured eighted!

I was kind of "slow rolling" the bait early morning, I saw it rise about 20ft from the boat off a weedline. That's when I killed the bait and it turned and sank back down.

I tried the figure eight for a bit. Left the area and came back with different baits too. Even jigged the area with a 1oz flipping jig. No go.

As sson as I saw it sink back down I gave myself the Homer Doh! to the forehead. Judging by some replies here I shouldn't of killed it.

Should have come back with the SAME bait Phil, you got her attention once, so giver another shot with what attracted her the 1st time.

Oh come on Lewskie, you know me better then that! ;):) You've even ice fished with me.

Should have come back with the SAME bait Phil, you got her attention once, so giver another shot with what attracted her the 1st time.

Exasctly how I landed my 46" back last month.

Huge swirl near teh bait but never took it.

Casdt back again, boyond the swirl, came back through and WHAM !!!!

I do the figure 8 routine each cast - whether I see a fish following or not. Thought is that there could be a fish following or close by, but not yet visible. When I do have a fish following, I keep the lure moving even for a bit after the fish seems to have moved on.

One of mine from this September was caught right at boatside during the '8'. Saw her coming in and left the lure in the water and kept it moving. She nailed it during one of the turns - so the quick change in direction could have triggered the strike.

The 49" Patsy caught last year was a fish that followed my lure in. Went past once and was out of site, but I kept the '8' going and she came back. Went past my bait not once, but three times before she headed to the back of the boat - right where Patsy was finishing reeling in a cast and WHAM.

Ya just never know.

Just wondering. Have you ever gotten a hit figure 8ing if you didn't see a follow?

Phil I think you are learning more by missing her then if she just ate.

When I have a follow I will TRY and keep the same pace then speed up into the first turn of my figure 8.

On the 8 I speed up and go high on my outside turn and slow down and go deep on the inside turn.

I have learned a lot by rewatching my videos that I have been doing. One thing I know is musky will come from ANY place to attack boat side. Have a watch and see how many I get boat side even coming out of the water after Make my turn and lift the bait out of the water.

I have to agree with the speeding it up part. This year when I was at LOTW I saw a decent fish dart out of nowhere towards my bucktail it was hot on it and was about to eat so I lowered my rod tip in anticipation of a hook set. The fish stopped dead, which was incredible to see, but heartbreaking as it stared at the fluttering lure and sank away.

To echo what others have said, keep the same cadence or even better, speed it up. I also like the advice to speed it up on the way in to the boat and go into a wide figure eight. Always anticipate a follow, even if you do not see a fish. Last week I lost a following fish because I did a lazy eight. My buddy went back to the same spot this weekend and caught her, a healthy 43" fish.