Wing less bb weights or split shot

davey buoy

I've made the move to non-toxic this year which seems to be designed to be moved, just push a thumb nail into the slot and they open as long as you don't clamp them on with pliers.

I get mine on trips to the UK where the only shot you can buy is non-toxic apart from size 10 and down - not as cheap as lead but being easier to re-use makes up most of the difference.

I use my teeth.. I'm sure I'll keel over one day in the river due to lead poisoning, but it works great :)

Ugh, same here......and its really been on my mind the last couple years. Im going to try and make a concerted effort this year to try and stop. Its certainly the most productive way to get it done......its not going to be easy trying to mess around with hemo's and tinh shot with numb fingers all winter that for sure

Ive got some inventions kicking around in my head for a fix but havent gotten around to prototyping any of them just yet lol

Ugh, same here......and its really been on my mind the last couple years. Im going to try and make a concerted effort this year to try and stop. Its certainly the most productive way to get it done......its not going to be easy trying to mess around with hemo's and tinh shot with numb fingers all winter that for sure

Ive got some inventions kicking around in my head for a fix but havent gotten around to prototyping any of them just yet lol

There is a lot of residue in the Blackbird shot, rinsing them off then putting them back into the containers would most likely help quite a bit.

time for some questions from a noob...

is there really a significant difference in numbers of fish caught on winged vs non winged shot?

are steelhead really that fussy?

how much does winged shot effect the way your bait drifts?

same size weights from top to bottom?

i need to get dialed in. 4 outings with zero fish sucks :wallbash:

Your shot pattern all depends on the river you are fishing. For the most part it's bigger to smaller (Unless you're fishing fast flows and you want to bulk shot right about your leader)...

Steelhead aren't fussy, biggest mistake I see new guys make (And I did when I started) was running their rigs way too shallow and using far to big a float and too much weight.. All you're doing with a rig like that is smashing your roebag/bead whatever into the bottom and dragging it around.. That's not a very natural presentation.. I like to run a longer leader then most 36in+ with a 4-5gr float in slower flows... and if I need a few dust shot on it, then so be it..

If you aren't getting bit on your first 6 drifts, change something.. Making the same drift over and over again without changing up if you aren't getting bit is silly.

Edited by BillM

Your shot pattern all depends on the river you are fishing. For the most part it's bigger to smaller (Unless you're fishing fast flows and you want to bulk shot right about your leader)...

Steelhead aren't fussy, biggest mistake I see new guys make (And I did when I started) was running their rigs way too shallow and using far to big a float and too much weight.. All you're doing with a rig like that is smashing your roebag/bead whatever into the bottom and dragging it around.. That's not a very natural presentation.. I like to run a longer leader then most 36in+ with a 4-5gr float in slower flows... and if I need a few dust shot on it, then so be it..

If you aren't getting bit on your first 6 drifts, change something.. Making the same drift over and over again without changing up if you aren't getting bit is silly.

thanks for the tips. it's hard learning the game when i don't have anyone to physically show me prime water and proper technique to fish it. therefore, i could be making critical errors without even knowing. on the other hand i could be using the right techniques, but applying them to the wrong water or i could just be fishing at bad times.

as with any other fishing, i know that changing thing's up to find what's working is important. the problem here is nothing has been working for me so far and the only success i've had is honing my casting skills around the lumber. :thumbsup_anim:

You definitely wanna drift in tight to the wood :) Sometimes 6-7inches will make all the difference between getting bit or going home with a skunk.

Yep. I love the wood now,even if it means retieing at times.

Edited by Misfish