Amazing custom.

Live2fish85

Well I finally got my first custom done. I had Spiel build me a 8wt 9' on a Rainshadow RX7.

I have to say that this thing makes my other fly rod really feel and look cheap. Which it was cheap in the fly world but Spiel is amazing.

I have been out with it a few times now and wow is all I can say. I haven't landed any good fish yet on it just a few annoying bass. I was out this morning with it and had a salmon go for the fly but I pulled it away before he could get. Chris recommended that I don't go for the boots with it which is fine.

Well I continued fishing and a few cast later bam fish on. A nice brown. I am not fishing a river or creek just so you know. Any ways I continue fighting the thing get him to shore go to net it and oops I hit the line with the net and snapped my line. Talk about a piss off.

Regardless of that I have to say that the rod is amazing in action as well. I have never used such a amazing rod. This thing is amazing.

Any one looking for a new rod no matter what you are fishing for talk to Spiel. He truly does amazing work.

Thanks a ton Chris.

I can't figure out the copy and paste thing on this new phone yet so when I can I will post pics.

Edited by Live2fish85

I need to figure this new phone out haha. I will read the instructions later. Then I should be able to post the pictures.

Maybe Spiel can post a couple I know he has and then I will figure out how to post the others of the rest.

Brian it is so true. I can't imagine any one could have a rod by Spiel and be unhappy with it.

I seem to remember you like pike fishing? If you want to cast half a chicken, try a Rio Pike (same as the old Clouser taper), Mainstream Bass or even the Outbound Short which would probably cast a whole chicken :)

My 8wt does double duty for steelhead in winter/fall and bass, pike and carp in summer and I use two lines as well, a Steelhead taper for nymphing and a Mainstream Bass for everything else, as the two seasons don't overlap I swap them - my job for tonight as it happens!

Nice rod BTW B)

Thanks Dave. I can send emails no problem from my phone just a pain with the copy and pasting. I will email you them in a few minutes thanks.

Cuzza your are right. I will be doing a lot of pike fishing with it as well as bass and carp in the summer. What line would you recommend I gets for targeting all them.

Also I never really though of just taking it off and putting the other line on. I think I will save the mine and do that.

Thank's all.

I use these http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/specialty/mainstream-bass-pike-panfish/ at $40ish it doesn't matter if I stand on it or get it caught round a tree limb. I also overline by one weight so use a 9wt on my 8wt - makes casting a bit easier.

These look good too http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/freshwater/specialty/power-fly/ but to be honest any bass/pike line will do as they're meant for casting big flies, carp flies don't tend to be big like a massive pike fly or a popper so whatever will work for those two will cover carping as well.

if you're new to fly casting overlining by 1 weight or the rio outbound line will help you feel the rod load

the gold is a good line but don't think it'll serve you well if that's our intended line for throwing pike flies...plus it's expensive

can't remember what blank spiel said you built on, but action/tapers for dedicated pike and steelhead rods are pretty different...you can definitely fish multi species but if you want a dedicated rod for throwing half chicken pike flies then a 9'6" moderate action steelhead rod isn't gonna shine in that department...and vise versa, a 9' xfast pike rod isn't gonna roll cast that well or be too pleasant to fish on the river for steelies

definitley need to see pics of another spiel masterpiece with the reel mounted...what thread colours did you go with?

if you're new to fly casting overlining by 1 weight or the rio outbound line will help you feel the rod load

the gold is a good line but don't think it'll serve you well if that's our intended line for throwing pike flies...plus it's expensive

can't remember what blank spiel said you built on, but action/tapers for dedicated pike and steelhead rods are pretty different...you can definitely fish multi species but if you want a dedicated rod for throwing half chicken pike flies then a 9'6" moderate action steelhead rod isn't gonna shine in that department...and vise versa, a 9' xfast pike rod isn't gonna roll cast that well or be too pleasant to fish on the river for steelies

definitley need to see pics of another spiel masterpiece with the reel mounted...what thread colours did you go with?

Blank info BFW.......

Rainshadow RX7 - F908 - 9'0" - 2 piece - 8 weight - butt .415 - tip size 6 -Med-Fast - blank weight 2.17oz - Large & Smallmouth Bass /bonefish/light Salt Water

Awesome thanks cuzza. If the weather this winter is like last winter. I will probably be doing a lot of fly fishing for pike. As well as steelhead.

Go with the Rio Pike or a Coldwater Clouser (eBay is your friend here) - some of the bass lines have a warmwater coating that will stiffen up a bit in very cold conditions - it never gets tropical warm up here anyway so the coldwater stiff will be fine.

BFW has a good point on the action (hence I have 2 8wts :blush: one very fast and one softer) but i recon that blank will be fine, easier to roll cast with something a little too stiff than cast chickens with a noodle.

Thanks Rick.

No I will still be chasing the bows and salmon through the summer. As for bass, I don't think I will be targeting them to much anymore. I will still get out for bass at the reef as its right there. I will be doing a lot more musky fishing though.