So much for my yearly camping trip

Acountdeleted

The government really needs some help, and by help I mean someone to set them straight, there are so many things that they are screwing up for themselves. If they were coming up short on camping could they not set a fixed rate throughout the parks, why do they think that keeping people from enjoying nature will convince them to respect it?

Edited by Christopher k

When I went to fushimi it was fairly busy. Really would it be that hard for them to close the bathrooms, still have the seasonal student staff as they have planned and then just have people pay what they can, and leave a sign at the entrance of the park saying 'use at your own risk. Not maintained or patrolled by staff'. But no. They would rather lock the doors at night instead.

so the title of the article says camping banned...but I didn't read camping was banned in the article, the ministry announced camping services will be dropped

28 full time positions and 102 seasonal positions...that's a hefty salary to maintain campsites in northern parks with low visitation rates...IMO spend the money on parks with high visitation rates and leave the northern parks remote

camping services are nice, they make the experience easier and more comfortable for families with small children...but it's nice to keep some parks less developed too

so the title of the article says camping banned...but I didn't read camping was banned in the article, the ministry announced camping services will be dropped

28 full time positions and 102 seasonal positions...that's a hefty salary to maintain campsites in northern parks with low visitation rates...IMO spend the money on parks with high visitation rates and leave the northern parks remote

camping services are nice, they make the experience easier and more comfortable for families with small children...but it's nice to keep some parks less developed too

Sorry, can people still camp, just without services? If so that is nice.

Yep,crap in the woods,bath in the lake. Nature at it,s best.Chipmunks on the fire. :canadian:

our rule of thumb in camp is always yourself, would a bear do that?

where's the napkins?

would a bear do that?

you seen the tooth paste?

would a bear do that?

hey man, where's the toilet paper?

would a bear...

Sorry, can people still camp, just without services? If so that is nice.

that's how i read the article...ministry is dropping services, not maintaining the park basically

I think it's another case of shotty journalism with respect to the camping "banned" part there

http://www.thestar.c...rovincial-parks

In this one it mentions the parks are day use only. The other one they left the most important part out.

Wait, the other one does mention it. Start of the second paragraph mentions how overnight camping was dropped.

Edited by jeremy84

Sucks... Fushimi has always been my favourite park, but the last time we were there in 2004 the warden was worried they would close it. They made him kick out the majority of the "seasonal" campers to follow the park guidelines of no more than 10% seasonals in a PPark... which only equalled 4 seasonals for him. He had to throw out about 18 or 19 to meet the demand of his superiors and he was afraid at that time the next step would be closure since it wasn't bringing in enough revenue now.

My favourite site...

fushimicampsite.jpg

fushimilake1.jpg

At least good to see that, so far, this summers rumour of Finlayson in Temagami closing is unfounded.

Edited by irishfield

hmmm, I missed the no overnight part.....I read that as just no services...ie water, bathrooms, electricity and other maintenance

"The provincial government announced that overnight camping services will be dropped"

so if they've eliminate the seasonal staff, how do they plan to enforce the overnight camping thing?....when somebody breaks the lock on the gate, who checks up to replace it?

Edited by bare foot wader

Day camping is called a picnic. If you can't stay overnight, you can't call it camping. Am I missing something?

Exactly what the Toronto Sun had in it today Roy. Stated picnics and hiking only.. with no washroom or camping facilites. Then they failed to list the parks involved...

It seems to me that at some point many of the provincial parks were privately operated under government contract. Could not the municipalities affected here run the parks themselves the same way?

The region's MPP's, largely NDP, should have been on to this long ago and warned the communities that this would happen as was alluded to in the news article. The same people keep getting elected, seem to be good at noise making and whining, but when push comes to shove, the north keeps getting shafted - the latest being the closure of the railway. Both NDP politicians made sure they got their free last ride on this one.

Edited by blue pickeral

Really sad that this is happening.

I have said this before and still I wonder why provincial parks loose $ on camping fees when private campgrounds can turn a profit and the fees are similiar? Private camps have operating costs too and also generally are mortaged to the max which is one thing provincial parks don't have a need for.

bad news for sure

like a previous post, I've always thought Fushimi and Ivanhoe were busy (at least when I've been there), doesn't make sense

when I first heard this story on the news, I thought Missinaibi Lake (Barclay Bay) would be on the chopping block (thankfully not, it's a great place too)

couldn't they just reduce services and manpower at these parks to make them profitable and keep them going?

in other news, Mcguinty continues to spend like a drunken sailor while cutting services and freezing wages to help with the deficit- 300 million for a new pool in Toronto for the upcoming Pan (nobody gives a F#@$) Am Games, what a genious!

bad news for sure

like a previous post, I've always thought Fushimi and Ivanhoe were busy (at least when I've been there),

As I mentioned.. circa 2004 the warden had to kick out 18 or 19 seasonals in Fushimi. There are only 42 or 43 sites if memory serves me correctly (might be 47, my maps here somewhere). We went there yearly and sometimes twice a year and we could always get a site. So no more than 20 transients where camping at any given time.