I asked Lund about my warranty and Jack Plates

RangerGuy

I'm seriously concidering putting the smallest powered jackplate I can find on my alaskan, so I can raise the motor when idling into

my hunting marsh. Smallest set back I can find so far is a 3 7/8" set back.

I'm not looking for performance imrpovements but just trying to minimize the amount of weeds I have blocking my water intake when idling

into my hunting spots.

Lunds reply was this:

"If any after market part causes a covered component to fail, then that covered component would not be covered."

I take this as if it's installed incorrectly and damages the transom it will void the warranty, same as any outboard or transom transducer

for that matter.

What do you think they mean?

I'm seriously concidering putting the smallest powered jackplate I can find on my alaskan, so I can raise the motor when idling into

my hunting marsh. Smallest set back I can find so far is a 3 7/8" set back.

I'm not looking for performance imrpovements but just trying to minimize the amount of weeds I have blocking my water intake when idling

into my hunting spots.

Lunds reply was this:

"If any after market part causes a covered component to fail, then that covered component would not be covered."

I take this as if it's installed incorrectly and damages the transom it will void the warranty, same as any outboard or transom transducer

for that matter.

What do you think they mean?

Every boat manufacturer will tell you this. I was told the same thing by Nitro when I ordered a Jackplate with boat.

Does your boat have hydraulic steering? If not you may have to factor that in due to cables not working with a jackplate.

Every boat manufacturer will tell you this. I was told the same thing by Nitro when I ordered a Jackplate with boat.

Does your boat have hydraulic steering? If not you may have to factor that in due to cables not working with a jackplate.

My boat is a tiller, I guess it's a CYA statement. The owners manually doesn't specifically say a jack plate will void the warranty.

I see it the same was as the warranty you get on a new set of Shingles for your roof.

If your shingles have ever see sun - VOID

If your shingles have ever see rain - VOID

If your shingles have ever been hot - VOID

If your shingles have ever been cold - VOID

If the wind has ever blown hard on your shingles - VOID

If your shingles are in stagnant air - VOID

If you have ever looked at your shingles the wrong way - VOID

If you installed your shingles - VOID

I realize I am exadurating a little bit :whistling:

But I can definiatally see adding a jackplate will void the warranty on your boat and motor in SOME situations, but not all, which seems to be what Lund is also saying.

Edited by N.A.W

The jack plate will change the torque points on the transom. Lund has not had a engineer certify that the transom can stand the new torque points. It may not be an issue in this case but Lund has to protect themselves from people who deviate in manners that do damage the transom. The legal stance is "in for a penny in for a pound" without that stance there is no black and white line of right and wrong.

Art

I see it the same was as the warranty you get on a new set of Shingles for your roof.

If your shingles have ever see sun - VOID

If your shingles have ever see rain - VOID

If your shingles have ever been hot - VOID

If your shingles have ever been cold - VOID

If the wind has ever blown hard on your shingles - VOID

If your shingles are in stagnant air - VOID

If you have ever looked at your shingles the wrong way - VOID

If you installed your shingles - VOID

I realize I am exadurating a little bit :whistling:

But I can definiatally see adding a jackplate will void the warranty on your boat and motor in SOME situations, but not all, which seems to be what Lund is also saying.

LOL so true

I have contemplated putting on a jackplate myself.

I have questions.... Is there a clear defined "inteded usage" listed in the warranty? Main motor, kicker, transducers? I can see how any or all, if not properly installed, or come in contact with something can cause a failure. Would the warranty be applicable? Probably not.

I have been under the impression, that if the max hang weight of the transom is not exceeded, then the warranty would not be voided. Not that I think about tranfered moment forces, I can see the argument. Might be something to inquire through a dealer.