NF - Faber snowshoes?

adolson

I've been eyeing a pair of Faber Winter Guide 1140 snowshoes for almost a year now, but before I pull the trigger, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried them or have any experience with Faber's products at all?

Here's a link to the ones I want: http://www.fabersnow...140&P_no_cate=5

The main reason I want them is for accessing some trout lakes to fish. I think I can get more lakes, more easily than if I were to try just walking through in boots like I did last year. My wife enjoys snowshoeing as well, and I did when I was a kid, and being that I'm far more fit this year than last year, I'm a little more ambitious.

I've used those before ( or something that looked just like them) and they were OK but if I was buying I'd look for something else. TJ has the Faber aluminum framed ones and they look pretty good. Love the look of a tradition snowshoe but like the light weight and "grippers" that seem to be standard.

http://www.aluminumsnowshoes.net/

Make sure you get the right shoe for your weight and conditions that you will be normally walking in. :canadian:

Have had Fabers for years and prefer trad shoes vs modern ones. The synthetic deck will be great if yer travelling in damp snow and it's also less or zero maintenance ( no varnishing). Make sure you get shoes with enough floatation however. Bindings are also a very personal preference but ease of entry and exit are very important esp if one has the wherewithall to travel over water.

I've been eyeing a pair of Montagnais style for my next pair (currently use trad sport with heavy lacing).

Winter is a wonderful time to be outside and tramping through the bush looking for trout is a great way to enjoy the hard water season.

I am a big guy aver 260lbs and do a lot of snow shoeing in LSPP and with the terrain we punish the snowshoes. I have atlas showshoes and they have withheld a beating.

Atlas

I liked the price and hybrid design of the Winter Guides, but I know one local shop here sells Atlas' 8, 10, and 12 series. So I looked at them on the site, and am curious which ones you use, yourself?

Although the price is a little more, there are some nice additional features and it looks like a lifetime warranty.. If I went with Atlas, I think I'd have to go with the 10 series at 35", as it will do 350lbs (I don't plan to gain weight, but why not be safe, right?). However, in the videos, these things look tiny - will they actually hold me up on powdered snow?

My only previous experience with snowshoes was in my teenage years and younger, and back then I only used those huge traditional ones that were annoying to wear.

Dana, you need to ask yourself if you're going to breaking trail in virgin pow or walking on established paths that are semi hard packed. For fresh snow, I'd take the float of traditional over the smaller footprint moderns. I also find resting my backside on babiche quite comfortable during tea breaks ;) ymmv

If there is more than a foot of fresh powder, you can't beat the traditional 48"ers.

I also have the atlas 10's for when conditions are a little easier, or its icy.

the synthetics are nice, but they still fail the same as traditional rackets. The frames will last forever, but the rest of the parts break. I work in an outdoor ed center, and we use the atlas because they are tough, fit well, and have a great warranty. If your going to get one pair for everything, go with the atlas brand in the proper size for your weight, and most likely conditions.

S.

I have two sets my self. The big traditionals for deep fresh snow. And MSR Denali for more packed crusty snow.

The denali also has an extra padle you can add to the back to give you even more float.

If I'm doing a long trec, the snow conditions don't matter, I will use the Denalis. I have bad knees, and the traditional shoes really bother me when doing long trecs.

To answer your question, I have never used Faber before.

Edited by N.A.W