outboard use below 0 degres...

mike rousseau

i was wondering what some of you do when running your outboards in freezing temperatures.....

any tips or tricks?

i have a brand new yamaha and want to make sure i do whatever i can...

i dont have a garage to store it in...

now with my yamaha... there is a garden hose flush attachment on the side just below the cowling... can i pump RV antifreeze through this attachment after each winter use? i figure i could rig a hand pump to the fitting and pump the antifreeze through the entire motor... any thoughts on this?

im planning on contacting yamaha and asking them the same questions...

thanks

mike

You dont have to do anything at all. If you put antifreeze in that hose attachment, it will just drain out on your driveway.

Just make sure there is no water getting in your lower unit, and your good to go. When you pull the boat out, trim the motor all the way down, and all the water in it will drain out.

The only problem you can have from freezing temps is water in your lower unit. When it freezes, it can crack open the housing.

Make sure you have a good battery in cold weather. I run my boat until the ice is too thick to break. Never had an issue with the engine, other than a few dings in the prop from hitting chunks of ice.

S.

when I dock In Quinte in November if I know the temps will dip below zero I run my motor trim it up.Once the pump stops spurting out water I shut it down.This prevents the water from freezing in the line that spurts out water.

BTW the Yammy runs well in cold temps :Gonefishing:

There is no need to do that, Mike.

Just trim the motor down and leave it in the water. Any water in your indicator line will also drain out. Remember, the water is much warmer than the air at that time of year. Trimming the motor up is just exposing it to colder temps than if it was trimmed down in the water.

Guys, outboards are simple.

The ONLY problem you can run into with cold temps is water in the lower unit. Other than that, outboards are self draining. Just trim them down, and your done. EVen if the indicator (pee line) isn't pumping water, you will still get water to the engine. The indicator is just an over flow from the water pump. After running for a bit, it will thaw out and start pissing again. The water that cools the engine comes out thru the exaust. Have you ever noticed the water that comes out the pisser isn't hot?? Its just a visual to let you know your pumping water.....that's all.

There really isn't anything special you have to do. I add gasline antifreeze if its really, really cold....only because I've seen carbs freeze up, but I've never had it happen myself.

As long as your lower unit seals are good, there is nothing to worry about whatsoever.

Now, boat safety in cold weather is a whole new thread. There are a few things I always bring when its cold. Primarily a small propane torch. You would be amazed how handy it is when things start to freeze up on ya!!

S.

We run outboards all winter long here in the Lower Niagara River...the river never freezes with it's 12 mph current...after the boat is put back on the trailer, just trim it up and down once or twice ....all the water will drain right out...then trailer her home....

Last year the Larry never froze either...