question for the mechanical guys

motv8tr

Hi guys, this is for any of you who are mechanically creative. Basically I need an electrically operated retractable arm, the purpose is to attach it to the door from my garage to the back yard, ideally it would be plugged into a timer, the idea is to have it retract at a set time, opening the door to the yard for my dogs.....anyone know if such an item exists and where I might find it??? I was hoping princess auto? I was thinking maybe something along the lines of the ones used on awnings????

inexpensive ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Maureen

I put in a doggy door and my beagle loved it. but the little bugger would steal stuff from the house and take it outside and bury it in the snow. Shoes, Stuffed animals, garbage, hair brushes, dishes, boxes, a paddle one time, he tried to take one of my boots but he got stuck.

Guys, you're missing the point...I need to be able to have a door open on a timer so the dogs don't get out too early...I don't need a dog door, the back door is fine, besides, a dog door for my dog would run about 500.00

TS, that's a great idea, I go by a couple of wreckers on my way to work, I can check with them on my way home...just have to figure out how to hook it up to a timer...hmmmm I have a couple of ideas...

Thanks

Maureen

The wiper motor is a good idea; but not sure it would have the strength to open a door?

A power window motor and regulator assembly definitely would have the torque. Something like the picture below; just loose the extra bracketing that’s not required for your purpose. Plus there are right and left hand regulators which are mirror images of each other; depending on which way your door opens.

Just a thought.

Dan.

Power window.jpg

I doubt a wiper motor would open the door, also don't forget that you are going to need to turn the handle unless you are planning on removing it altogether or are you talking about a sliding door? The have automatic door openers, and I can tell you that the motors in those are a heck of alot more powerful than that in a wiper motor. If you are going for the wreckers I would recomend looking for a minivan with an autmatic door closer from a caravan or something like that over a wiper motor.

Guys, you're missing the point...I need to be able to have a door open on a timer so the dogs don't get out too early...I don't need a dog door, the back door is fine, besides, a dog door for my dog would run about 500.00

Maureen

Question: Is this a "one event" thing, door opens, dog(s) go out and stay out for the rest of the day and the door stays open to "other" intruders, or will the door shut after a preset time. One thing, dogs decide it's crummy out, don't go out and dump in the garage. Just a thought..

The transmission would break. Ever tried to shut a door on a windy day? or open a door on a windy day?

Bill the OP mentioned this is an existing entry door to a garage. I presume its a steel door and likely somewhat heavy. The motors in commercial automated doors are significantly heavier built than a wiper motor and transmission. They need to have significant power to shut a door against the wind. They also shut very slowly in comparison to what a windshield wiper works at for safety reason.

I would say if they were making a new small door, I would go with a sliding setup and take the entire unit from a sliding minivan door. It even has safety mechanism built in to protect against cutting a dogs head off. As for a timer you could put it on a dual trigger, a timer and a pressure plate on the inside and outside so between say 7-9am the door is activated and if the dog steps near the door it opens.

Might scare the crap out of it though... err prematurely that is. :)

Edited by jedimaster

This would be a one time thing, the door would stay open until I get home, that would give the dogs access to in or out at will, I have been leaving the door open but now that I leave in the wee hours of the morning it seems my dogs are waking the neighbors....not good, so I would like the door to open a few hours after I leave, rather than leave them in while I am gone.

Maureen

I made a automatic door on a timer using 2 12 volt supplies, a timer, and an electric retractable car antenna.

It is used on a chicken coop to slide open and closed an opening. Opens in the morning and closed in the evening (all on a timer).

You can google this set up for chickens and get a visual/diagrams for what you need. But it may cost a few bucks unless you can get used equipment.